Most of us try to live as healthy of a lifestyle as possible, and being at sea shouldn’t be an exception to that! More and more, cruise lines are going the way of the health-conscious by designing everything from their menus to fitness programs to help cruisers stay healthy. Some even enlist the help of health and lifestyle experts to share their knowledge with guests.
Here are some examples of ways cruise lines are becoming health-conscious.
1. Make a Healthy Plate
Today, there are more healthy-cuisine options aboard a cruise than ever before. Travelers can opt for lighter plated choices to accommodate every diet. From gluten-free and low-carb, to vegan and vegetarian; even the buffets are full of locally-sourced fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins to accommodate.
- AmaWaterways helps passengers stay healthy and hydrated with fruit-infused waters offered throughout their ships, helping travelers boost daily antioxidant intake.
- Cruisers can opt for spa cuisine. Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 offers a menu created in collaboration with Canyon Ranch that uses quality carbs, a balance of protein, healthy fats, and is free of artificial sweeteners.
- MSC Cruises offers diners lighter, healthful choices at every meal, complete with caloric values so it is easy to stay mindful.
2. Get Moving
Cruise lines offer some of the best fitness programs and activities onboard, as well as opportunities to experience land-based excursions which help you to stay fit.
- Norwegian Cruise Line brings some of the most sought-after land-based fitness options at sea. These include FlyWheel, boxing, yoga, TRX, and boot camp.
- Those looking to step outside of the gym can make the most of their ship’s cruise decks by taking morning walks or jogs, as well as finding active ways to see the sights while in port. For example, AmaWaterways carries 25 complimentary bicycles aboard their European ships. Cruisers can use the bikes to explore the scenery independently, or on escorted tours including rides along the Inn River in Passau, Germany, or Klosterneuburg Abbey in Vienna, Austria.
3. Soak, Scrub, and Sparkle
Everyone deserves a bit of pampering, and there’s no better place to indulge than on a cruise – where some of the most luxurious spa treatments can be found on deck.
- Holland America Line’s Greenhouse Spa & Salon (operated by Steiner) offers high-end treatments for hair, skin, and body. From seawater hydrotherapy to ceramic lounges modeled after Turkish baths, and treatments that blend exotic cultures like Hawaiian Lomi Lomi and Thai Herbal Poultice Massages, cruise-ship spas are the perfect place to unwind and clear your mind.
4. Enlist the Experts
Many cruise lines have top healthy-living experts and professionals available for passengers, ranging from personal trainers and spa specialists to chefs focused on healthy cuisine.
- Travelers can surround themselves with experts on specialty wellness and healthy-living cruises, such as Avalon Waterways’ Wellness River Cruises that boasts world-renowned health and fitness experts and outdoor activities, like yoga. Passengers can also attend educational lectures with healthy-living takeaways.
- Carnival Cruise Line offers expert-led seminars on a variety of wellness topics, including Detox for Health and Weight Loss, Eat More to Weigh Less and Skincare for the Next Generation.
Relaxation is the key to overall wellbeing, and cruising offers travelers a truly stress-free experience. Cruising allows passengers to unpack their bags and settle in, which means there’s more time to meditate in the sunshine and breathe in the salt-water air. Stress-free planning and all-inclusive travel make for a relaxed, at peace traveler.
Vacations are best spent enjoying new destinations and loved ones, so relax, soak in the sights, recharge, and enjoy your cruise!
For more information visit www.cruisesmile.org.