Next week, a decision will be made that could have a major impact on cruisers who sail out of Mobile, Alabama. That town’s mayor, Sandy Stimpson, is scheduled to meet in Miami with executives at Carnival Cruise Line on Monday, July 31, and the No. 1 item on their agenda is negotiating a contract which will guarantee the line continues to sail out of the southern port.
Will Carnival Cruise Line and Mobile Reach A Deal?
It was something of a shock when Carnival pulled out of Mobile back in 2011, citing rising fuel costs and an inability to make the same profit they might if their ships sailed from another port. But last winter, the line reached a new deal with the city, signing a one-year contract that is set to expire this November. In April, David Clark, the President and CEO of Visit Mobile told a local newspaper that they were “excited that Carnival Cruise Line has continued to expand opportunities for tourists in our Great City.”
In that same published report, City Finance Director Paul Wesch was quoted as telling the Mobile City Council that Carnival had been exceeding all their expectations since resuming sailings from the port.
Despite the contract being set to expire in November, Carnival is currently booking sailings through April of next year, but this should not necessarily be taken as a signal of how the mayor’s meeting will go. Should Carnival opt not to renew or extend the existing contract, the Carnival Fantasy, which currently offers four- and five-night voyages out of Mobile, would likely be repositioned.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of December 1, 2019
- Sky Princess Christened in Fort Lauderdale
- Virgin Voyages’ First Cruise Ship One Step Closer To Completion
- Trip Report: Norwegian Sky – Sea Day
- Cruise Podcast: Disney Magic Review 2019 + Free Casino Cruises
- Trip Report: Norwegian Sky – Embarkation Day
- Cruisers Mourn Passing Of Jack’s Shack Pup Topher
- Guy’s Burger Joint Now Serves Breakfast
- Carnival Sends Another Cruise Ship To California
- Nassau Vows To Fight “Very Real Problem” Of Crime
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Virgin Voyages’ First Cruise Ship One Step Closer To Completion
REVIEWS4 days ago
Trip Report: Norwegian Sky – Embarkation Day
REVIEWS3 days ago
Trip Report: Norwegian Sky – Sea Day
CRUISE PODCAST4 days ago
Cruise Podcast: Disney Magic Review 2019 + Free Casino Cruises
CRUISE NEWS1 day ago
Sky Princess Christened in Fort Lauderdale
CRUISE NEWS22 hours ago
Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of December 1, 2019