Update 9/8/15: All guests will now be flown home from St. Thomas. Given the limited availability of commercial flights, guests will primarily be transported via chartered aircraft.
Carnival Liberty suffered a small engine room fire while docked in St. Thomas on Monday, where she remained throughout Tuesday. The ship is now being sent back to San Juan, where the cruise first started, in order to take preventive measures.
Once arriving in San Juan, guests can choose to stay onboard the ship until disembarkation on Sunday or fly home.
Currently the ship is waiting for clearance to leave St. Thomas, if the ship does not receive clearance, passengers will be flown home from St. Thomas.
There were no injuries to guests or crew as a result of the fire which was extinguished by the ship’s automated suppression system. All hotel services including air conditioning, elevators, toilets, galleys, etc. are fully functional and the ship’s normal array of activities, entertainment, dining options and programming are being offered.
All guests are being provided with a full refund of their cruise as well as a 50 percent discount on a future cruise. This is in addition to a $150 per person credit that has already been applied to guests’ shipboard accounts.
Carnival Liberty departed San Juan for a seven-day Caribbean cruise with 3,346 guests and 1,150 crew on board.
Carnival has been providing updates on their Facebook Page throughout the day. There is no word if this will affect the next cruise that is scheduled to leave San Juan on Sunday.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of January 10, 2021
- Adventures By Disney To Launch Expedition Cruising In Antarctica, Galapagos
- Oceania Announces Epic 180-Night World Cruise
- 2021 Cruising: Halifax Cruise Port Hopes For Best, Plans For Worst
- Carnival Corp. Celebrates Float-Out of New Ship
- Plugged-In: Electricity To Play Bigger Role In Powering Cruise Ships
- Cruise News Briefs — January 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
- Celebrity Returns to Mexican Riviera Cruising After 8 Year Hiatus
- Bookings Open For Holland America’s 2022 Alaska Cruises
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Grand Cayman Says Cruise Ships Unlikely To Return in 2021
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Royal Caribbean Will Cruise From New Homeport Next Winter
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Adventures By Disney To Launch Expedition Cruising In Antarctica, Galapagos