Carnival Sunshine – which recently underwent a groundbreaking $155 million renovation that added a host of new features and facilities – arrived today in Barcelona, Spain, following its inaugural 12-day cruise from Venice, Italy.
The unprecedented transformation added all of the line’s Fun Ship 2.0 dining, bar and entertainment features, along with a host of unique and exciting innovations and an additional 182 staterooms.
Today’s voyage from Barcelona represents Carnival Sunshine’s first-ever departure from the Spanish port and continues the ship’s summer schedule of nine- and 12-day Mediterranean voyages that will run through October.
Here’s a look at some of the many innovations added to the 3,006-passenger vessel during its comprehensive makeover:
- Ji Ji Asian Kitchen, a stunning new full-service restaurant featuring an extensive menu of delicacies from the Far East, all enjoyed amidst striking Asian-inspired interiors
- Guy’s Burger Joint, a free-of-charge poolside venue developed in partnership with Food Network personality Guy Fieri serving hand-crafted burgers and fresh-cut fries
- Cucina del Capitano, offering Italian favorites and new Carnival classics served family-style in an engaging atmosphere reminiscent of a cozy Italian home
- BlueIguana Cantina, a complimentary poolside Mexican eatery where guests can enjoy authentic, freshly made burritos and tacos on homemade tortillas
- JavaBlue Café, offering lattes, cappuccinos and other caffeinated favorites, as well as “spiked” coffees made with liqueurs, and deliciously decadent confections
- Pizzeria del Capitano, an expansion of Cucina del Capitano offering five varieties of hand-tossed artisanal-style pizza, all available free of charge 24 hours a day
- Fahrenheit 555, a classic American steakhouse offering mouth-watering steaks, gourmet appetizers, entrees and desserts, with impeccable service and understated ambiance
- Shake Spot, the ideal “chill” spot where guests can enjoy hand-crafted milkshakes and floats, including “adult versions” of the frozen confections, available with fun toppings
Outdoor Fun and Relaxation
- Carnival’s first three-deck-high Serenity adults-only retreat, offering plush chaise lounges and chairs, a whirlpool, a waterfall, a pool, and, of course, magnificent sea views
- SportSquare, an open-air recreation complex that includes a ropes course, mini-golf course, a basketball court, jogging track, ping pong, foosball and pool tables, and more
- WaterWorks, an expansive water park with 40 interactive water features, a gigantic drenching bucket, five different slides including the new racing-themed Speedway Splash, and a 334-foot-long Twister slide, the longest in the “Fun Ship” fleet
- Carnival’s Seaside Theatre, a 270-square-foot LED screen displaying nightly movies, concerts, sporting events and other programming
Raising the Bar
- RedFrog Pub, featuring the Caribbean’s best rums and beers – including Carnival’s own ThirstyFrog Red – enjoyed in a distinct British-West-Indies-meets-Key-West atmosphere
BlueIguana Tequila Bar, a fun and festive outdoor watering hole offering a laid-back Mexican-themed atmosphere and tequila-based frozen drinks and beers
- EA SPORTS Bar, where guests can catch live sporting events, check out scores on the real-time 24/7 sports ticker, and play the latest EA SPORTS video games
- Alchemy Bar, a vintage-themed cocktail “pharmacy” with mixologists who “prescribe” concoctions from different elixirs and ingredients
- RedFrog Rum Bar, a poolside adaptation of the RedFrog Pub offering the quintessential Caribbean vacation vibe with refreshing Caribbean rum-based frozen drinks and beers
- The Library Bar, a warm and cozy venue offering self-serve wine dispensers and full bar service for those seeking a more intimate spot for before- or after-dinner drinks
- Havana Bar, which by day serves as a gathering spot for Cuban coffee and snacks, then at night transforms into a Latin-inspired courtyard for classic Cuban cocktails, music and dancing
- Playlist Productions, which combines captivating live performances of recognizable pop and rock songs and spectacular special effects to create enthralling music revues
- Hasbro, The Game Show, featuring larger-than-life adaptations of the company’s iconic and popular games and presented in the totally transformed Liquid Lounge
- The Punchliner Comedy Club presented by George Lopez, featuring a line-up of hilarious, laugh-out-loud comedians, part of the line’s partnership with the popular
Carnival Sunshine is spending the summer in the Med before repositioning this fall to New Orleans, where she’ll do seven-night year-round Caribbean itineraries.
Subscribe to our Cruise Updates.
Comments are closed.