Back in April, Carnival Cruise Line altered their room service menu on three ships — the Imagination, Conquest and Pride — to include for-fee items. The menus still included a wide selection of free items, but they also featured selections which came with an additional fee. At the time, Carnival reps said that they would let costumer feedback determine whether or not to implement the new menus across the line.
Well, if that claim is to be believed, consumers have spoken… and they said, “Sure, go ahead, charge us for room service items!”
Difficult as that might be to believe, it actually makes sense if one keeps in mind that the traditional room service offerings — including a selection of hot-and-cold sandwiches, desserts and breakfast items — remain available at no charge. The new room service menu simply offers additional items that come with a fee attached.
Of course, some cruisers fear that it’s a slippery slope: “Today,” they muse, “we’re paying for a few items on the room service menu, tomorrow, it’ll be every item.” And this has become a more common practice among lines. Earlier this year, Norwegian experimented with a room service fee on Breakaway and Getaway, and that line’s Margaritaville — aboard the Escape — went from complimentary to ala carte almost immediately upon opening. And several lines have begun to include “uncharge” items on the menus in their main dining rooms, traditionally considered the last bastion of all-inclusive dining.
What’s your take on room service fees? Is it okay for a line to charge for some items as long as the basics remain free?
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of April 11, 2021
- New Series Focuses on Pain of Cruise Shutdown, Excitement of Planned Return
- NCL To CDC: ‘Respond To Our Restart Plan Please’
- Carnival Releases Another Cruise-Themed Board Game
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — April 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Read the Letter Some Hope Will Prevent Cruise Ships From Sailing
- The Tug of War Over The Cruise Industry’s Future
- Norwegian’s ‘Great Cruise Comeback’ Docuseries Episode Airing Tonight
- Viking Takes Delivery of Latest Ocean Cruise Ship
- Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
The CDC Still Doesn’t Want You To Cruise, But Has Advice If You Do
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Adjusts Refund, FCC Policies
EDITORIAL4 days ago
Why Drink Packages May Be the Biggest Challenge Facing Cruising’s Resumption