Celebrity Cruises’ newest ship has officially been christened and named.
Celebrity Apex was the center of the excitement in Fort Lauderdale this evening as she kicked off her inaugural Caribbean season. The festivities included the naming ceremony led by the vessel’s godmother, Reshma Saujani — founder of the non-profit Girls Who Code and author of the bestselling book “Brave, Not Perfect.”
Last week marked the first time Apex has sailed from the United States. Now, she will embark on rotating eastern and western Caribbean itineraries, visiting islands including Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Belize, Grand Cayman, and more.
Earlier this summer, Apex made her global debut with a short series of Greek Isles voyages.
“Celebrating Celebrity Apex is certainly long overdue and it’s a day I have been waiting to celebrate for quite a long time – 581 days, to be exact. This stunning ship truly represents a new standard in new-luxury travel, and we can’t wait for our guests to finally experience it for themselves,” said Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo.
In keeping with nautical tradition, Reshma Saujani officially named Celebrity Apex on board the ship during the ceremony. Also in attendance were local dignitaries from the City of Hollywood and City of Dania Beach, and representatives from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, U.S. Coast Guard, Broward County Sheriff’s Department, and Broward County Fire Rescue, as well as media and invited guests.
Like her almost identical sister ship Celebrity Edge, Apex features a large variety of features and amenities, including:
- The Retreat complex for suite guests, which includes a private restaurant, lounge, and sundeck
- The Magic Carpet cantilevered platform on the side of the ship that has different roles depending on which deck it’s on
- 29 culinary venues including the brand-new Craft Social Bar offering 40 handcrafted boutique beers, creative cocktails, and gourmet comfort food
- F45 classes, Peloton bikes, and “Women in Wellness” onboard content and experiences
Reshma Saujani follows Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai, who inaugurated Celebrity Edge in November 2018 and is known for her advocacy of educational opportunities for girls. Saujani also represents women breaking ground, having led the charge to provide opportunities for women in the traditionally male-dominated tech field.
“It’s both thrilling and humbling to serve as the Godmother of Celebrity Apex,” said Saujani. “Similar to the mission of Girls Who Code, which is centered around closing the gender gap in tech, Celebrity is leading the way to create a more diverse future in the cruise industry. The brand’s commitment to the cause is clear not only through the leadership of its President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, but in its incorporation of on-board STEM programming. I can’t think of a more inspiring place to learn about the wonders of the maritime industry than on board Celebrity Apex and Girls Who Code is honored to help in this effort.”
In honor of Saujani’s work, Celebrity Cruises will offer fun, interactive beginning coding activities from the Girls Who Code curriculum as part of its Camp at Sea program.
- Cruise News Today — December 8, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Jimmy Buffett Launches Cruise Line, Rebrands Ship [IMAGES]
- Carnival Releases 2021 Christmas Day Dinner Menu
- Carnival Radiance Cruise & Entertainment Directors Announced
- Cruise News Today — December 7, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Virgin Voyages Donates 500 Cabins to Healthcare Providers
- Saying Goodbye to My Dad, Captain Parker
- Passport Card vs. Book: Which Should I Get?
- Cruise News Today — December 6, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve: Everything You Need to Know