Costa Cruises has revised its plans to resume cruising, and is now aiming for a May restart.
In a press release, the Italian line said that “the decision has been taken in consideration of the restrictions still in place in Italy and other European countries to contain COVID-19.” It went on to say that the restrictive measures don’t allow the line to offer the best cruise vacations to its guests.
In line with the new plan, Costa Smeralda‘s departure in Italy is now planned for May 1, 2021. The itinerary is unchanged — the ship will offer three and four-night voyages or a seven-night cruise calling at Savona, La Spezia, Civitavecchia (Rome), Naples, Messina, and Cagliari.
From June 12 onward, Smeralda will return to sailing weeklong voyages in the western Mediterranean, with visits to Savona, Civitavecchia, Palermo, Marseille, Barcelona, and Palma de Mallorca.
The departure date of the line’s second ship to return to service, Costa Luminosa, is postponed to May 16 from Trieste, and the following day from Bari, Italy. The ship will operate seven-night cruises in Greece and Croatia, in line with Greece’s recent roadmap to the resumption of international tourism.
Costa Cruises’ return to service will continue to be supported by the Costa Safety Protocol, which contains operational measures related to all aspects of the cruising experience both onboard and ashore.
These measures will include limited capacity, swab tests for all guests and crew, temperature checks when disembarking and boarding, protected shore excursions, physical distancing, and the use of face masks when necessary.
As previously announced, all other Costa sailings that were scheduled through the end of May are canceled.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of April 11, 2021
- New Series Focuses on Pain of Cruise Shutdown, Excitement of Planned Return
- NCL To CDC: ‘Respond To Our Restart Plan Please’
- Carnival Releases Another Cruise-Themed Board Game
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — April 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Read the Letter Some Hope Will Prevent Cruise Ships From Sailing
- The Tug of War Over The Cruise Industry’s Future
- Norwegian’s ‘Great Cruise Comeback’ Docuseries Episode Airing Tonight
- Viking Takes Delivery of Latest Ocean Cruise Ship
- Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Senators Launch ‘CRUISE Act’ Bill To Override CDC, Return Cruising By July 2021
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
The CDC Still Doesn’t Want You To Cruise, But Has Advice If You Do
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Adjusts Refund, FCC Policies