Costa Cruises has revised its plans to resume cruising, and is now aiming for a May restart.
In a press release, the Italian line said that “the decision has been taken in consideration of the restrictions still in place in Italy and other European countries to contain COVID-19.” It went on to say that the restrictive measures don’t allow the line to offer the best cruise vacations to its guests.
In line with the new plan, Costa Smeralda‘s departure in Italy is now planned for May 1, 2021. The itinerary is unchanged — the ship will offer three and four-night voyages or a seven-night cruise calling at Savona, La Spezia, Civitavecchia (Rome), Naples, Messina, and Cagliari.
From June 12 onward, Smeralda will return to sailing weeklong voyages in the western Mediterranean, with visits to Savona, Civitavecchia, Palermo, Marseille, Barcelona, and Palma de Mallorca.
The departure date of the line’s second ship to return to service, Costa Luminosa, is postponed to May 16 from Trieste, and the following day from Bari, Italy. The ship will operate seven-night cruises in Greece and Croatia, in line with Greece’s recent roadmap to the resumption of international tourism.
Costa Cruises’ return to service will continue to be supported by the Costa Safety Protocol, which contains operational measures related to all aspects of the cruising experience both onboard and ashore.
These measures will include limited capacity, swab tests for all guests and crew, temperature checks when disembarking and boarding, protected shore excursions, physical distancing, and the use of face masks when necessary.
As previously announced, all other Costa sailings that were scheduled through the end of May are canceled.
- Viking Begins Mediterranean Cruises From Malta
- Bimini Island Welcomes First Carnival Cruise Ship
- Disney Will Restart Cruises From Florida in August 2021
- St. Kitts Welcomes Its First Cruise Ship Since Industry Shutdown
- Disney Cruise Line Wants To Base Ship Year-Round At Port Everglades
- Celebrity Cruises Wins 12 Awards From ‘Wine Spectator’ Magazine
- MSC Seashore Kids’ Clubs, Activities Detailed Ahead of Debut
- Alaska Welcomes First Revenue Cruise In Nearly Two Years
- 16 Photos of Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 
- Princess Cruises Announces Discovery Princess Leadership Team