Costa Cruises unveiled new safety measures today that bring real-time tracking of its ships’ routes and will impose limits on the authority of their ships captains.
Noting “new bridge procedures stipulate that the captain isn’t the only one who issues orders,” the Washington Post reports that “Members of his team also take part in making decisions, particularly during special navigation procedures like pulling into port.”
The new measures seek to answer many of the questions that came out of the grounding of Costa Concordia last January. The ship ran into a reef January 13,2012, after the captain went off course in an apparent salute to a retired captain, then grounded off the island of Giglio, killing 32 people.
The announcement by Costa occurs on the same day that their newest, biggest ship and largest Italian-flagged ship, Costa Fascinosa goes into service.
As the ship’s name suggests Costa Fascinosa (Italian for “fascinating”) has a theme of “all things that fascinate” including celebrities, movie stars and exotic places synonymous with allure and seduction. The interior design’s central theme was conceived by architect Joseph Farcus and inspired by famous films.
Costa Fascinosa promises public areas that are works of art in themselves, with plush furnishings and superb decoration.
- The Amarcord Atrium will be very much “center stage” with its theatrical grandeur, warm colors and a series of diamond-shaped chandeliers.
- The aft Lido, is dedicated to the classic movie “Gone With the Wind” and a 4D Cinema will have screenings that arouse all five senses.
- Video gamers will head for the virtual reality of PlayStation with the latest product releases and an authentic Grand Prix Simulator on the highest deck of the ship, modeled on an original Gran Prix car, reproduces the excitement of the world’s best racing circuits.
- Bow-to-stern broadband Wi-Fi, guaranteeing connectivity for laptops, tablets and mobile phones. The new Digi Mobile platform also will enable guests to use their smartphones and tablets to access the shipboard interactive TV system in their cabins, to book programs and services directly.
- Guests will be able to see shows in the Bel Ami show lounge, socialize in any one of 13 bars, the Babylon Disco, the Blue Velvet piano bar or the Millionaire Casino, named after the Italian title of the multi-Oscar-winning movie “Slumdog Millionaire.”
- Costa Fascinosa also will feature the finest Italian and international cuisine at five restaurants: the à la carte Club restaurant, the Samsara wellness eatery, the self-service buffet with dishes typical of the places visited during the cruise and traditional Mediterranean delicacies in the two main restaurants.
- Costa Cruises new ship to be delivered May 5 at Venice, Italy(cruiseradio.net)
- Costa Continues Expansion With May Launch(chriscruises.net)
- Cruise line announces safety measures(toledoblade.com)
- Chinese Fashionistas: your ship has come in(chriscruises.net)
- Charm And Beauty The Focus Of New Costa Ship(chriscruises.net)
Comments are closed.