Silversea Cruises has announced that it is in the process of converting one of its luxury ships into an ice-class expedition vessel.
The line’s ship Silver Wind is currently undergoing renovations at the Remontowa shipyard in Poland, following a major upgrade in 2018. The redesign includes an ice-strengthened hull for cruising in polar waters, as well as a variety of technology upgrades to prepare for its new sailing region.
Silver Wind will also be outfitted with a new advanced waste water treatment plant, new food waste treatment facilities, and new fuel-saving boilers.
Silver Wind will emerge as Siversea’s fourth expedition ship in its fleet of nine vessels. She is set to make her maiden voyage as an expedition ship on November 20, 2021 with a 22-day journey to Antarctica. The sailing will provide passengers with a prime viewing position for a solar eclipse on December 4, 2021.
“We are converting our beloved Silver Wind into one of the most luxurious expedition ships at sea to further expand and diversify our cold-water cruise offering,” says Roberto Martinoli, Silversea’s President and CEO. “With the backing of the Royal Caribbean Group, we are significantly investing in our ultra-luxury fleet to meet the burgeoning guest demand for voyage options in such breath-taking, remote destinations as Antarctica, and we have more exciting enhancements to come.”
Silver Wind will receive enhancements that will enable it to operate expedition cruises in both polar regions, as well as in the world’s most remote tropical waters.
In addition to a strengthened hull, other updates will include ice-detector sonars that are designed for use on icebreaker ships, 24 Zodiac boats, and 14 kayaks.
The ship will have a reduced capacity of just 274 people, and carry up to 28 expedition experts who will share their knowledge during onboard lectures, on guided Zodiac tours, and on shore visits.
The ship’s casino is being converted into the Photo Studio, which will feature state-of-the-art equipment for picture-taking. Other changes include a new Mudroom and a special heating system for the ship’s swimming pool.
READ MORE: Should Kids Take a Luxury Cruise?
Most of Silver Wind‘s public spaces were refreshed during its 2018 refurbishment.
During the current renovations, the ship’s upper suites will be entirely refurbished with new furniture and carpets, as well as new walk-in showers to complement the bathtubs. The Vista and Veranda suites will also be updated and receive new walk-in showers.
Many public spaces will receive minor updates again, with repainted walls and ceilings in La Dame, La Terrazza, the Observation Lounge, the Panorama Lounge, and the Reception area. The Gym & Beauty Salon will be updated as well.
Solar Eclipse Cruise to Antarctica
As mentioned, Silver Wind‘s maiden voyage as an expedition ship will be a 22-day Antarctica sailing on November 20. She will spend her entire inaugural season in that region.
Passengers will have the opportunity to explore the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, and Antarctica, and view the solar eclipse on December 4.
Passengers on the ship’s expedition voyages will receive the following included in the cruise fare:
- International roundtrip flights (or air credit)
- Business Class upgrades at reduced rates
- In-country flights
- Pre and post-cruise hotel night(s) or a day-use hotel stay
- Transfers and luggage handling
- Access to the Expedition Team
- Enrichment lectures; guided Zodiac, land, and sea tours; and shoreside activities
- Complimentary expedition gear including a parka (on select voyages), backpack, and water bottle
- Multiple restaurants and 24/7 room service
- Premium beverages
- Butler service and onboard gratuities
- Unlimited wifi
- Former Carnival Cruise Ship Now Sails With Chinese Line
- Viking Celebrates Float Out of Second Expedition Ship
- Two Big Changes to Guy Fieri Restaurants on Mardi Gras
- MENU: Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse on Carnival’s Mardi Gras
- Cruise News Today — July 28, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Carnival Horizon, A Journey In Photos Day 2: Seas The Day
- Princess Cruises Celebrates 20 Years of Shore Power in Juneau
- Carnival Cruise Line Launches Summer 2021 Alaska Season
- Mexican Port Welcomes First Cruise Ship After 16 Months
- Icy Strait Point Welcomes First Cruise Ship in 562 Days
BEFORE YOU CRUISE16 hours ago
MENU: Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse on Carnival’s Mardi Gras
BEFORE YOU CRUISE3 days ago
Bimini Cruise Port: Everything You Need To Know
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Win For Florida As Appeals Court Strikes Down CDC Cruise Restrictions
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
500 Days Later, Every Major Cruise Line Is Sailing Again