Cruise News Briefs for Monday, January 11, 2021
Key players in cruising have been discussing whether they can or will require COVID-19 vaccinations for passengers and crew moving forward.
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings CEO Frank del Rio has stated that his company is looking into whether it has the legal ability to require the vaccine for guests once cruising resumes.
The Cruise Lines International Association is also exploring whether vaccines can be mandated for passengers and crew.
Meanwhile, a Silversea Cruises executive said that “it would be an ideal situation for the cruise industry to get the crews vaccinated” and that they are in discussions for their crew.
Right now, only time will tell whether passengers, crew, or both will require vaccinations to cruise in the future.
2021 Alaska Season Outlook
Cruise cancellations are already starting to creep into the already hurting Alaska season. A region that normally sees over a million cruise guests annually saw zero in 2020.
So far Holland America Line has cancelled Alaska voyages through mid-May while other lines have axed sailings longer than seven-nights because of the CDC’s Conditional Sail Order.
Cruise Line Survival in 2021
And just how long can the cruise lines survive a zero-cash scenario? According to data from S&P Global Market Intelligence
Royal Caribbean is currently spending $270 million per month while shutdown, and is good for approximately 15 months, with $4.2 billion in the bank.
Carnival Corporation is spending $530M per month, and can survive two years, with $14.2 billion available
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings is currently burning $175M per month, and could survive 20 months in a zero-revenue situation, with approximately $3.6B in the bank.
Watch New Briefs
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of April 11, 2021
- New Series Focuses on Pain of Cruise Shutdown, Excitement of Planned Return
- NCL To CDC: ‘Respond To Our Restart Plan Please’
- Carnival Releases Another Cruise-Themed Board Game
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — April 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Read the Letter Some Hope Will Prevent Cruise Ships From Sailing
- The Tug of War Over The Cruise Industry’s Future
- Norwegian’s ‘Great Cruise Comeback’ Docuseries Episode Airing Tonight
- Viking Takes Delivery of Latest Ocean Cruise Ship
- Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Senators Launch ‘CRUISE Act’ Bill To Override CDC, Return Cruising By July 2021
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
The CDC Still Doesn’t Want You To Cruise, But Has Advice If You Do
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Adjusts Refund, FCC Policies