Cruise News Briefs for Monday, January 11, 2021
Key players in cruising have been discussing whether they can or will require COVID-19 vaccinations for passengers and crew moving forward.
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings CEO Frank del Rio has stated that his company is looking into whether it has the legal ability to require the vaccine for guests once cruising resumes.
The Cruise Lines International Association is also exploring whether vaccines can be mandated for passengers and crew.
Meanwhile, a Silversea Cruises executive said that “it would be an ideal situation for the cruise industry to get the crews vaccinated” and that they are in discussions for their crew.
Right now, only time will tell whether passengers, crew, or both will require vaccinations to cruise in the future.
2021 Alaska Season Outlook
Cruise cancellations are already starting to creep into the already hurting Alaska season. A region that normally sees over a million cruise guests annually saw zero in 2020.
So far Holland America Line has cancelled Alaska voyages through mid-May while other lines have axed sailings longer than seven-nights because of the CDC’s Conditional Sail Order.
Cruise Line Survival in 2021
And just how long can the cruise lines survive a zero-cash scenario? According to data from S&P Global Market Intelligence
Royal Caribbean is currently spending $270 million per month while shutdown, and is good for approximately 15 months, with $4.2 billion in the bank.
Carnival Corporation is spending $530M per month, and can survive two years, with $14.2 billion available
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings is currently burning $175M per month, and could survive 20 months in a zero-revenue situation, with approximately $3.6B in the bank.
Watch New Briefs
- Viking Begins Mediterranean Cruises From Malta
- Bimini Island Welcomes First Carnival Cruise Ship
- Disney Will Restart Cruises From Florida in August 2021
- St. Kitts Welcomes Its First Cruise Ship Since Industry Shutdown
- Disney Cruise Line Wants To Base Ship Year-Round At Port Everglades
- Celebrity Cruises Wins 12 Awards From ‘Wine Spectator’ Magazine
- MSC Seashore Kids’ Clubs, Activities Detailed Ahead of Debut
- Alaska Welcomes First Revenue Cruise In Nearly Two Years
- 16 Photos of Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 
- Princess Cruises Announces Discovery Princess Leadership Team