Hawaii Considers Cruise Visitor Booster Requirement
As cruise lines look to restart service to Hawaii in January, they continue working to hammer out the agreements which must be in place before docking.
According to Hawaii News Now, some local medical experts are suggesting that in addition to the currently-in-place vaccination requirements, Hawaii should also insist cruise ship visitors who want to disembark be required to have their booster shot.
So far, none of the major lines sailing out of the U.S. require booster shots, although all of them have recommended that passengers get them. Cunard announced mandatory booster requirements for Queen Mary 2 voyages beginning January 14.
CDC Shortens Isolation Time For Asymptomatic People
There’s a bit of good news for those who do wind up contracting COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has shortened the recommended isolation time for those who are asymptomatic from 10 days to 5.
The CDC says this new guidance comes as a result of growing evidence that people who contract the disease are most infectious in the two days before and three days after symptoms develop.
This means that cruisers who quarantine after receiving a positive test result will be able to vastly reduce their time in isolation as long as they remain asymptomatic.
Teenager Dies on MSC Seashore
A 15-year-old died during last week’s sailing on MSC Seashore. Although initially he was believed to have gone overboard, it was later revealed that he in fact died by a fall onto a lower deck of the ship.
In a statement, the company said, “A young man travelling with his family on board MSC Seashore appears to have died of suicide Wednesday evening. Our team immediately notified authorities and our care team is assisting the young man’s family on board.”
Following protocols, when the ship returned to Miami, an investigation was undertaken even though foul play was not suspected.
Seashore was returning to Miami following a five-day sailing when the incident occurred.
Watch Cruise Radio News Brief [VIDEO]
- New Royal Caribbean Ship Features Southern Dining, 20+ Restaurants
- Uncertain Future For Crystal Cruises as Parent Company Sinks Under Debt
- Holland America Extends Cancellation Policy through September 2022
- Cruise News Today — January 19, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Bookings Open on Miami’s Next MSC Cruise Ship
- Cruise News Today — January 18, 2022 [VIDEO]
- U.S. River Line Orders 12 Small Cruise Ships
- Carnival Cruise Director Accepts Promotion, is Leaving Mardi Gras
- Cruise News Today — January 17, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Celebrity Delays Return of West Coast Ship, Cancels Four Sailings