Celebrity Edge Coded Red, Still Able to Sail
This weekend, Celebrity Edge will be the first cruise ship to sail out of a U.S. port since the entire industry was shut down.
But guests scheduled to board on Saturday became concerned when the ship was coded red by the CDC. Generally speaking, that means someone on board has tested positive for COVID-19.
Celebrity released a statement on Wednesday explaining that during the past week, one of the 900 crew members on board tested positive. The line said that “that crew member has since been moved off the ship and all crew have retested negative.”
The ship is scheduled to depart Port Everglades at 7 pm on Saturday evening.
Norwegian Cancels More Cruises
Norwegian Cruise Line has canceled cruises on five more ships, saying that the decision was “in support of our phased return to service.”
The following voyages have been canceled:
- Pride of America through November 20
- Norwegian Dawn through November 21
- Norwegian Joy through November 13
- Norwegian Sky through January 21
- Norwegian Star through January 2
Additionally, earlier this month the line announced that Norwegian Sky bookings from September 5 to October 10 will be moved to a different itinerary aboard Norwegian Gem as an equipment swap.
Carnival Corporation Details Cruise Line Restarts
Carnival Corporation announced today that eight of its cruise lines have plans to restart a total of 42 ships this year.
Its 2021 restart represents 52 percent of the company’s total capacity across its global fleet of 91 ships.
Watch Cruise News Briefs [VIDEO]
- Tampa Welcomes First Cruise Ship in 19 Months
- 9 Freebies on Cruise Ships
- Third U.S. Based Princess Cruise Ship Resumes Service
- Carnival Raises Nearly $300,000 in 3 Months For St. Jude
- Holland America Names Godmother of New Cruise Ship
- Cruise News Today — October 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Windstar Cruises Adds Second Yacht in French Polynesia
- MSC Partners With Two Universities to Support Ocean Cay Coral Program
- Princess Reveals More Cruise Ship Restarts For Early 2022
- Captain Kate Appointed Head of New Celebrity Cruise Ship