Tourism Boat Becomes Temporary Vaccine Distribution Vessel
An 89 year-old passenger ship that’s been out of commission due to the pandemic now has a new, temporary, purpose.
The 500-passenger MS Thurgau normally carries tourists between German and Swiss cities on Europe’s third-largest lake, Lake Constance.
Now, the vessel is bringing COVID-19 vaccines to thousands of residents on the shores of the lake, which has earned it the nickname “vaccine vaporetto.”
The initial round of shots aboard the ship is planned for the next 12 weeks, and officials are hoping an extension beyond that won’t be necessary and the ship can go back to its regular tourism route.
Carnival Details Italy-Themed Area on Mardi Gras
Carnival Cruise Line celebrated National Pizza Day by rolling out details about La Piazza, the Italian-themed zone aboard the upcoming Mardi Gras.
The area will be home to an expanded Pizzeria del Capitano, as well as the largest Cucina del Capitano in the fleet and two new-to-Carnival venues, Bar Della Rosa and Piazza Panini.
Mardi Gras is set to have her debut sailing out of Port Canaveral on Memorial Day weekend.
180-Night World Cruise Sells Out in a Single Day
Oceania Cruises has announced that its 2023 ‘Around the World in 180 Days’ world cruise sold out in a single day last month. The voyage will visit 96 ports in 33 countries aboard the vessel Insignia. There will also be three scenic days of cruising in Antarctica.
Because demand for its cruises is so high, Oceania will be opening 2022-23 winter voyages for booking in March.
In case you’re curious, prices for the world cruise started at $55,000 per person.
Watch Cruise News Briefs [VIDEO]
- Another First as Royal Caribbean Ship Sails From Nassau
- USVI Governor Asks Florida’s DeSantis To Allow Cruise Line Vaccination Checks
- Celebrity Millennium Trip Report, Day 4: Changes in the COVID Era
- UPDATE: Two Celebrity Millennium Cruisers Test Positive, Protocols Work As Planned
- Carnival Staffing Entire Fleet — ‘We Want to Bring Back More Ships’
- Holland America Changes Rotterdam’s Inaugural Date, More Cruise Cancellations
- Cruise News Today — June 11, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Carnival Announces More Cruise Ships, Ports, Mardi Gras First Sailings
- Odyssey of the Seas Arrives to New Florida Homeport
- Royal Caribbean President Defends ‘Complicated’ Vaccination Policies
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
PHOTOS: Welcoming Carnival’s Mardi Gras to Port Canaveral
REVIEWS5 days ago
Celebrity Millennium Trip Report, Part 1: Getting There is Half the Battle
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Royal Caribbean Says Unvaccinated Guests Will Face Restrictions, Higher Costs
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Another Cruise Ship Cleared to Sail From Florida