Compared to the past, 2013 is shaping up to be a relatively slow year for cranking out new builds. With exception of Viking River Cruises, which aren’t considered cruise ships, we’ll see three noteworthy new builds and one major refurbishment.
Here is the cruise ship order book for 2013:
Norwegian Cruise Line will take delivery of the 4,000-guest Norwegian Breakaway in April. The ship will homeport in NYC offering Bermuda and Caribbean sailings.
The 3,600-guest Royal Princess (photo right) will surface in June. Princess Cruises new built will feature amenities like a live TV studio, $3,000 cabanas in the Sanctuary, largest outdoor movie screen and on board intranet system to track your folio, get ship info, events, weather and port information.
MSC Cruises launches the MSC Preziosa in March. This ship will have MSC Cruises Yacht Club, a ship within a ship experience and claims to have one of the longest water slides at sea.
Carnival Destiny is currently in drydock in Italy to reemerge as Carnival Sunshine after 49 days and $155 million invested. When the ship reemerges, she’ll have all the cruise lines Fun Ship 2.0 features, a three-story adults only serenity area and 182 new staterooms. Carnival Sunshine was scheduled to reemerge from dry-dock in early May.
There are no lull in new cruise ships next year. 2014 will bring Royal Caribbean’s new Quantum-class vessel, Quantum of the Seas, Norwegian Cruise Lines’ Getaway, Princess Cruises’ Regal Princess and Costa Cruises’ Diadema.
Carnival Sunshine transformation:
Subscribe to our Cruise Updates.
- Virgin Voyages Updating Cabins on Two Cruise Ships
- Chef Rudi Sodamin Named Princess’ Head of Culinary Arts
- New Residential Ship to Offer ‘Worldschooling’ Education Program
- Cruise News Today — January 24, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Carnival Explores $10 COVID-19 Testing Option for Shorter Cruises
- Cruise News Today — January 23, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Cruise News Recap | Week of January 16, 2022
- Cruise News Today — January 22, 2022 [VIDEO]
- 7 Cruise Trends You’ll See in 2022
- Unpaid Bills Result In Cruise Ship Arrest Warrant