Disney Cruise Line’s newest vessel Disney Wish reached a very special construction milestone today at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany.
The keel of Disney Wish has now been laid, and it was marked by a traditional keel laying and coin ceremony. In addition, the line has announced that Captain Minnie Mouse will be featured in artwork on the bow of the ship.
“As we look to the future with anticipation and excitement for continuing our legacy of creating magical vacations for families across the globe, we are thrilled to reach this significant milestone in the ship building process and to unveil Captain Minnie as the beloved character on the bow of the Disney Wish,” said Thomas Mazloum, president of Disney Cruise Line.
Keel laying takes place when the first block of a ship is lowered into the building dock, and a newly minted coin is placed under the keel for good fortune. The special coin created for Disney Wish features Captain Minnie, who made her debut on Disney’s ships in 2019 as part of an effort to inspire the next generation of female leaders in the cruise industry.
“In maritime tradition, keel laying is the ceremonial beginning of the ship’s life,” said Philip Gennotte, portfolio project management executive, Walt Disney Imagineering Germany, who placed the coin at the ceremony.“Today marked a momentous occasion for the Disney Wish, and I could not be more proud of our Imagineers, the cast and crew at Disney Cruise Line and the team at Meyer Werft, the shipyard in Germany, who are bringingthis enchanting ship to life.”
So far there haven’t been many details released about the fourth Disney Cruise Line ship, other than the fact that it will be slightly larger than Disney Dream and Fantasy, run on liquefied natural gas, and feature Rapunzel on the stern and a statue of Cinderella in the atrium.
Disney Wish is the first of a planned three-ship fleet expansion, which will bring the Disney Cruise Line fleet to seven ships by 2025.
- Viking Begins Mediterranean Cruises From Malta
- Bimini Island Welcomes First Carnival Cruise Ship
- Disney Will Restart Cruises From Florida in August 2021
- St. Kitts Welcomes Its First Cruise Ship Since Industry Shutdown
- Disney Cruise Line Wants To Base Ship Year-Round At Port Everglades
- Celebrity Cruises Wins 12 Awards From ‘Wine Spectator’ Magazine
- MSC Seashore Kids’ Clubs, Activities Detailed Ahead of Debut
- Alaska Welcomes First Revenue Cruise In Nearly Two Years
- 16 Photos of Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 
- Princess Cruises Announces Discovery Princess Leadership Team