Celebrity Cruises has just initiated an industry first in the United States. They’ve named 37 year old Kate McCue as the new captain of Celebrity Summit, making her the first female American cruise ship captain. She will navigate the ship between the US and Bermuda, out of Cape Liberty.
Celebrity elevated McCue to the position of captain after a successful 15 years in the maritime industry. She’s sailed worldwide, to places including Australia, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia, the Panama Canal, the Pacific Northwest, and Alaska. She’s served as a leader in several repositioning and transatlantic cruises, and played a significant role in the revitalizing of ships in Singapore.
McCue graduated from California State University’s California Maritime Academy, and has since held various roles in the maritime industry. She began as a cadet and deck officer, before moving to other positions that eventually led to her recent role as Master Mariner with Royal Caribbean International. McCue also has numerous certificates in areas pertaining to leadership navigation, security, and ship management.
She will begin her new role as captain aboard the Celebrity Summit in August.
- Two Cruise Lines Extend Australia Pause Into 2022
- Report: Surprises From the CDC’s Updated Conditional Sailing Order
- Cruise News Today — October 27, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Cruise Line’s New LNG Flagship Completes Sea Trials
- Cruise News Today — October 26, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Royal Caribbean Releases Protocols For Cruises From U.S. Through November
- MSC Cruises Launches Design Contest For Hull of Upcoming Ship
- CDC Extends Conditional Sailing Order Into January 2022
- Viking Cruise Ship Makes Inaugural Call in St. Kitts
- More Dining Details Revealed for Upcoming Disney Cruise Ship