Holland America Line celebrated the delivery of their latest ship, ms Koningsdam, today at the Fincantieri shipyard in Italy. The official Handover Ceremony included a luncheon and workers party aboard the ship.
Italy’s Minister of Infrastructures and Transport, Graziano Delrio, was in attendance, and expressed his appreciation for the long-standing relationship with Carnival Corporation and Fincantieri. Other speakers included the CEO of Fincantieri, Giuseppe Bono, and CEO of Carnival, Arnold Donald. A video was shown of the Italian flag being switched to the Dutch flag, which all Holland America ships fly. The shipyard also presented the ship’s captain, Emiel de Vries, with a bottle holding the first water that touched ms Koningsdam‘s hull.
Guests at the ceremony also were able to watch as a contract was signed between Carnival Corporation and Fincantieri for five more ships as part of an agreement announced last year. Two will be built for Costa Asia, two for Princess Cruises, and one for P&O Cruises Australia, with deliveries scheduled for 2019 and 2020.
After the ceremony, the shipyard employees who worked to build Koningsdam were invited onboard to celebrate. Guests had dinner in the Lido Market, and watched a performance in World Stage. A tour of the ship let the shipyard employees share the final result of their work with their families.
The ship will leave the yard tomorrow, April 3, to make its way to Rome for her Premiere Voyage that will depart April 8. After a series of Mediterranean cruises, the naming ceremony will take place in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on May 20.
Photos courtesy of Holland America Line.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of April 11, 2021
- New Series Focuses on Pain of Cruise Shutdown, Excitement of Planned Return
- NCL To CDC: ‘Respond To Our Restart Plan Please’
- Carnival Releases Another Cruise-Themed Board Game
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — April 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Read the Letter Some Hope Will Prevent Cruise Ships From Sailing
- The Tug of War Over The Cruise Industry’s Future
- Norwegian’s ‘Great Cruise Comeback’ Docuseries Episode Airing Tonight
- Viking Takes Delivery of Latest Ocean Cruise Ship
- Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
The CDC Still Doesn’t Want You To Cruise, But Has Advice If You Do
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Adjusts Refund, FCC Policies
EDITORIAL4 days ago
Why Drink Packages May Be the Biggest Challenge Facing Cruising’s Resumption