Holland America has received their 6th Green Gateway Award in a row from the Port of Seattle. They present the awards annually to cruise and commercial shipping lines that call in the port, and whose environmental efforts are notable for recognition. The port also presented the cruise line with the Technology Innovator Award.
In years previous, Holland America has received the Green Gateway Award for their use of shore power, practices to reduce emissions, and their commitment to protecting the environment. The cruise line has also invested in their Seattle-based fleet of ships to reduce fuel use – therefore reducing greenhouse gases. That, along with their installation of IPCO Power Fuel Treatment systems, was the reason the port also recognized them with the Technology Innovator Award this year.
The cruise line was also named the 2014 Marine Environmental Business of the Year by the Seattle Propeller Club and the Port of Seattle. The company was honored for their efforts to shrink their environmental footprint through a series of goals that reduce fuel and water consumption, engine emissions, and generation of solid waste.
Seattle offers the lowest carbon footprint for cargo shipped by sea from Asia to major Midwest and east coast markets, making it the “Green Gateway” for trade. The designation was determined by the “Carbon Footprint Study of the Asia to North America Intermodal Trade.” Holland America’s ships have been sailing from Seattle since the 1970s, and in 2002 they began using it as their home port for Alaska sailings. This year, the cruise line has three ships based there sailing 50 Alaska cruises from May to September.
- Two Cruise Lines Extend Australia Pause Into 2022
- Report: Surprises From the CDC’s Updated Conditional Sailing Order
- Cruise News Today — October 27, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Cruise Line’s New LNG Flagship Completes Sea Trials
- Cruise News Today — October 26, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Royal Caribbean Releases Protocols For Cruises From U.S. Through November
- MSC Cruises Launches Design Contest For Hull of Upcoming Ship
- CDC Extends Conditional Sailing Order Into January 2022
- Viking Cruise Ship Makes Inaugural Call in St. Kitts
- More Dining Details Revealed for Upcoming Disney Cruise Ship