The cruise industry may be at a standstill but that doesn’t mean that ship construction is. Holland America Line celebrated a coin ceremony on Thursday aboard its upcoming Rotterdam, which is being constructed at Fincantieri’s Marghera shipyard in Italy.
A coin ceremony for a vessel typically takes place when its keel is laid during the construction process. Tradition says that placing two coins under the new ship’s keel block as a sign of good fortune and blessing.
Following the Italian shipbuilding tradition, Mai Elmar, executive director of Cruise Port Rotterdam in the Netherlands, served as the ship’s madrina and participated in the festivities.
During the socially responsible ceremony, Dutch coins minted in 1872 to honor Holland America Line’s first Rotterdam were welded to the outside deck of the ship to bring good fortune, followed by a blessing by the shipyard chaplain.
In attendance were Antonio Quintano, director of the Fincantieri Marghera Shipyard; Cyril Tatar, Holland America Group’s vice president of newbuilding services; and Nico Bleichrodt, vice president, international sales, for Holland America Line.
“We are pleased to honor the coin ceremony tradition and celebrate this milestone that signals less than a year until Rotterdam’s delivery,” said Gus Antorcha, president of Holland America Line. “With a name like Rotterdam, there is no other person more ideal than Mai Elmar to serve as the ship’s madrina. Mai’s name is synonymous with the cruise industry in the port city of Rotterdam and she has been a tremendous champion of our brand for decades. We’re thrilled to have her take on this special role.”
On October 7, Rotterdam’s drydock will be filled with water and the ship will be floated out to begin the next stage of construction at an outfitting pier.
Rotterdam is scheduled to be delivered on July 30, 2021.
- The Rule Change That Could Save Alaska’s 2021 Cruise Season
- Royal Caribbean Makes Changes to Winter 2021/2022 Cruise Schedule
- Impressive Timelapse of New Cruise Ship Being Built [VIDEO]
- Kicked Off Ship: Cruiser Who Ignored Excursion Rules Sent Packing
- Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing
- Travel During A Pandemic: Visiting Disney Springs
- Cruise Podcast: How To Buy A Room On A Cruise Ship + News
- 21 Haunting Images From a Cruise Ship Scrapyard [PHOTOS]
- New Cruise Ship Will Literally Change the Air You Breathe
- First Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship to Sail Gives Glimpse of New Normal
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
First Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship to Sail Gives Glimpse of New Normal
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
21 Haunting Images From a Cruise Ship Scrapyard [PHOTOS]
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Sea Of Plenty: Six Holland America Ships Offer 2021 Alaska Cruises
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing