Hurricane Matthew is keeping at least five cruise ships at sea until the strong storm is clear of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. The storm, with winds exceeding 100 m.p.h., has already closed Florida’s cruise ports and Charleston, South Carolina.
- Carnival Sensation will remain out to sea an extra day until Port Miami opens. Her new arrival date is Saturday, October 7.
- Carnival Sensation’s next cruise has been modified from a four night to a three night cruise, skipping Key West and Cozumel, and only calling to Nassau, Bahamas.
- Carnival Victory’s three night cruise scheduled to depart on October 6, has been canceled.
- Carnival Ecstasy has extended their day in Cozumel and will remain at sea another day, returning to Charleston, South Carolina at day late on Sunday, October 9.
- Empress of the Seas next sailing will now depart on Friday, October 7, 2016. Boarding on Friday will take place as soon as Royal Caribbean receives notification from PortMiami authorities.
- Majesty of the Seas has canceled their next sailing.
- Norwegian Sky on Friday, October 7 and Norwegian Escape on Saturday, October 8.
- The October 7 sailing of the Disney Dream from Port Canaveral is being cancelled.
- The October 7 Caribbean sailing of the Disney Magic from New York is being changed to a Canadian itinerary, with plans to visit Sydney, Nova Scotia; Halifax, Nova Scotia; and Saint John, New Brunswick.
Check the cruise line websites for additional information.
According to the National Hurricane Center, the storm is forecasted to skirt up the Florida, Georgia, and Carolina coast before heading north or reappearing in the Bahamas (see the charts).