In September, Ketchikan, Alaska will welcome its millionth cruise passenger of the 2017 season. Cruise Lines International Association Alaska is forecasting an estimated 1.06 million cruise guests visiting the state this year, a new record.
As Alaska’s second largest cruise port, Ketchikan has seen an increase in traffic this summer. In May, the city received six large vessels, setting a one-day record with 13,000 cruisers in town. To avoid a bombardment, the ships were staggered to arrive and depart at various times throughout the day.
Ketchikan’s location along the famed Inside Passage and its range of shore excursions makes it a popular destination for cruise ships. Visitors enjoy fishing, catching a glimpse of wildlife, kayaking, zip lining, and more. Native Alaskan culture thrives there, and guests are able to experience it firsthand. Home of the largest collection of totem poles in the world, Ketchikan boasts some of the oldest ones, carefully preserved at the Totem Heritage Center.
The city also has an array of shops and galleries, many located along historic Mission Street and Creek Street in the heart of downtown, that feature the world of community artists. Creek Street’s colorful buildings surrounded by trees and pristine water make it a popular sight, even more so in late summer when thousands of salmon begin their journey home to spawn.
Congratulations on your inevitable upcoming cruise record, Ketchikan!
- Viking Cruises Cancels Sailings Through August
- Canada Bans Cruise Ships Through October
- Looking Back: Celebrity Cruises Marks 30th Year in Service
- Why I’m Breaking My Cruise Rules to Sail Carnival Mardi Gras
- Cruise Podcast: Mariner of the Seas 2020 Review + News
- Mexico Vows to Welcome Cruise Ship Passengers
- Cruise Line Announces Return To Service For “Quick Getaways”
- Vegas Casinos Give Glimpse of Cruise Line Future
- Cruise Ship Ban in Australia Extended Until September
- Fact Check: Cruise Industry Illness and Cleanliness Standards
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Fact Check: Cruise Industry Illness and Cleanliness Standards
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Vegas Casinos Give Glimpse of Cruise Line Future
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Cruise Line Announces Return To Service For “Quick Getaways”
EDITORIAL2 days ago
Why I’m Breaking My Cruise Rules to Sail Carnival Mardi Gras