Holland America Line’s ms Koningsdam officially has a godmother – Her Majesty Queen Máxima of the Netherlands. She will christen the new ship in a ceremony in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on May 20 aboard the ship.
“We are incredibly honored that Her Majesty Queen Máxima will carry on the tradition of Dutch Royalty christening Holland America Line ships, which began 87 years ago,” noted Orlando Ashford, president of the cruise line. “We chose Rotterdam as the location…because of the deep historic connection between Holland America Line, the city, and the people of the Netherlands.”
Members of the Dutch Royal Family have launched 11 Holland America ships. Most recently, then-Princess Máxima christened ms Nieuw Amsterdam in 2010, and then-Queen Beatrix served as ms Eurodam‘s godmother in 2008.
The ceremony will be held onboard the ship during a special 13-day Christening Cruise departing Rome on May 9. After that voyage, Koningsdam will spend the summer sailing from Amsterdam, in cruises to Norway, the Baltic, and Iceland. After her European season, she will sail to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, for winter and spring Caribbean sailings.
- Recipe: Carnival’s Official Warm Chocolate Melting Cake
- Disney Cruise Line Details ‘Marvel Day at Sea’ 2023 Dates
- When Every Norwegian Cruise Line Ship Will Resume Sailing
- Holland America Line is Giving Away 75 Alaska Cruises
- Caribbean Restart Date & Itineraries Detailed For Celebrity Infinity
- New Carnival Megaship Receives Signature Funnel [PHOTOS]
- Cruise News Today — January 26, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Everything You Need To Know About MSC Cruises
- Cruise News Today — January 25, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Disney Cruise Line to Offer ‘Pixar Day at Sea’ on Select 2023 Sailings