A poll announced this week by Cruise Critic, the world’s largest cruise reviews site and cruise community, reveals that 58 percent of cruisers say the threat of hurricanes won’t stop them from cruising, and a further 19 percent haven’t ruled it out entirely.
Cruise Critic asked cruisers if they will sail during hurricane season, and of the 2,380 cruisers who responded to the survey, 32 percent said they have already booked a cruise during hurricane season and 26 percent are hoping to find a hurricane season cruise deal. A further 19 percent responded that they were undecided. Only 23 percent said it was too risky and they would not cruise during this time.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) prediction* for the 2012 Atlantic hurricane season – which starts on June 1 – is for a less active season compared to recent years with a near-normal number of named storms expected this year.
“Cruise ships operate year-round in some of the most hurricane-prone regions in the world, yet the chance of actually experiencing a hurricane during a cruise is very slim as cruise lines will re-route ships away from the path of a storm,” explained Carolyn Spencer Brown, Cruise Critic editor in chief. “This means itineraries may be changed, and you might experience some rainy days and choppy seas, but hurricane season deals, which offer some of the best prices of the year, will entice cruisers to sail despite the threat of disruption and a cloudy day or two.”
Cruise Critic tracks storms and provides round-the-clock updates for cruise travelers at the Cruise Critic Hurricane Zone. The Hurricane Zone offers a resource for news on effected ports and itineraries, as well as essential information on purchasing travel insurance, preparing for hurricane season sailings and hurricane season cruise deals.
Source: Cruise Critic
Subscribe to our Cruise News Updates.
- Why New Cruisers Are To Blame For Higher Fees
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of January 12, 2020
- 180 Day Bucket-List Cruise Setting Sail in 2022
- Weather Delays Impact Two Carnival Cruises
- Cruise Line Sued Over Bed Bug Infestation
- Viking Ocean Cruises is Launching an Expedition Brand
- Viking Ocean Ship Christened in Unique Ceremony
- 10 Scenic Destinations for a Holiday in the Midst of the Deep Blue Sea
- Carnival Ship Skips Two Ports and Makes Unexpected Stop
- The Cruiser’s Guide To Alaskan Train Rides