Celebrity Cruises’ fourth Edge-class ship is officially under construction.
In announcing the steel cutting, the cruise line also revealed the vessel’s name: Celebrity Ascent.
The steel-cutting ceremony, which took place at the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France, signaled the next chapter in a significant year for Celebrity Cruises. The line led the cruise industry out of the pandemic when Celebrity Edge became the first ship to sail from a U.S. port on June 26, it formally launched Celebrity Apex during a naming ceremony on November 2, and revealed many details throughout the year on its third Edge-class vessel, Celebrity Beyond.
“The name of this new ship is very apropos as the industry rebounds, but also as Celebrity continues to lead the industry as an unmatched new-luxury brand and cruise line,” said Richard Fain, Chairman and CEO of the Royal Caribbean Group, the parent company of Celebrity Cruises. “Celebrity Ascent will take the industry to new heights as it pushes the boundaries of what people can experience on a ship and how they experience it.”
“This is a momentous occasion and a new milestone in the long success story we have with Celebrity Cruises and the Royal Caribbean Group,” said Laurent Castaing, General Manager, Chantiers de l’Atlantique. “Celebrity has been on the forefront of pushing the industry forward on multiple levels, and it’s our privilege to partner and collaborate with them as we bring Celebrity Ascent to life.”
Celebrity Edge, the first Edge-class ship, debuted at the end of 2018. After a number of pandemic-related delays, the second ship in the class, Celebrity Apex, finally set sail passengers this year. Celebrity Beyond, the next vessel in the lineup, is set to debut in April 2022, and Celebrity Ascent is expected to launch in early 2023.
- Royal Caribbean Celebrates One Year Since Restart, Reveals Fun Facts
- Cruise News Today — December 8, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Jimmy Buffett Launches Cruise Line, Rebrands Ship [IMAGES]
- Carnival Releases 2021 Christmas Day Dinner Menu
- Carnival Radiance Cruise & Entertainment Directors Announced
- Cruise News Today — December 7, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Virgin Voyages Donates 500 Cabins to Healthcare Providers
- Saying Goodbye to My Dad, Captain Parker
- Passport Card vs. Book: Which Should I Get?
- Cruise News Today — December 6, 2021 [VIDEO]