In this episode of Cruise Radio, I sit down with The Points Guy staff writer Ashley Kosciolek to discuss our experience onboard the brand new Mardi Gras cruise ship from Carnival Cruise Line, which is the largest ship in their fleet.
Mardi Gras is an Excellence-class cruise ship packed with new and exciting onboard amenities, including Bolt, the world’s first onboard roller coaster.
Another tweak to traditional cruise ship design can be seen in Mardi Gras’ Grand Atrium. This airy glass-fronted space stretches over 3 floors and is located to one side of the ship overlooking the sea instead of in the center of the ship, and offers passengers a relaxing space to hang out and enjoy panoramic ocean views.
You’ll hear Ashley and I discuss our thoughts on the ship’s health-related policies, as well as our bar and restaurant reviews, the onboard entertainment, what we think of the cabin design, and of course, our ride on BOLT, the first rollercoaster at sea.
[01:04] Host Doug Parker introduces Ashley Kosciolek
[01:20] Ashley compares the Carnival Mardi Gras experience to her other recent cruises
[02:29] Mask wearing mandates for passengers aboard Carnival Mardi Gras
[03:19] Features of the Carnival Mardi Gras
[05:50] Doug’s thoughts on the Grand Atrium
[08:08] Queuing on board the ship
[09:40] The ship’s dining concept
[10:55] Doug and Ashley’s food and restaurant recommendations
[13:51] Doug and Ashley’s best drinking spots
[17:03] Doug’s review of BOLT, the onboard rollercoaster
[20:10] Ashley’s experience of the onboard rope course
[21:08] Doug and Ashley review the cabins
[24:26] Ashley’s thoughts on the cruise at its halfway point
[25:11] Doug’s thoughts on the cruise at its halfway point
- You can find more of Ashley’s work here: https://thepointsguy.com/author/akosciolek/
Support Our Underwriter
- TripInsurance.com, offering three different travel insurance plans – good, better, and best – one plan for every budget. Get your quote at TripInsurance.com.
- A Picky Eater’s Guide to Dining on Carnival’s Mardi Gras
- Foodie’s Delight: Silversea’s New S.A.L.T. Delivers ‘Local Tastes’
- Costa Smeralda Trip Report, Day 3: Tasting The Med, Onboard & Ashore
- MSC Divina Resumes Cruising From Port Canaveral
- Cruise Line Sets a New Single-Day Booking Record
- Cruise News Today — September 17, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Alaska Launches Bill To Let Cruise Ships Permanently Skip Canada
- MSC Bellissima’s Red Sea Deployment Extended
- Costa Smeralda Trip Report, Day 2: Enough About COVID, Let’s Have Fun
- Cruise News Today — September 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Carnival Cruise Line Updates Casino, Smoking Policies
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Oasis of the Seas Successfully Completes First Cruise From NYC Metro Area
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Caribbean Island Welcomes First Cruise Ship in 18 Months
REVIEWS4 days ago
Trip Report: Final Impressions of Carnival’s Mardi Gras