Port Canaveral, one of Florida’s largest cruise ship ports will close down on Friday afternoon as Hurricane Irma inches her way towards the Sunshine State. Other ports in Florida are also shutting down well ahead of the storm.
Port Canaveral Says
A statement sent out by the port this morning said, “The US Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) has set Hurricane Condition Yankee for Port Canaveral: Sustained gale force winds are predicted within 24 hrs. Condition Yankee marks the last chance to further prepare Port Canaveral as well as mitigate potential heavy weather threats.”
It went on the say, “As of 3:00 PM today, Port Canaveral will cease all operations and is closed until further notice.”
You should monitor Port Canaveral’s Facebook Page for more updates on the status of the port. Guests should check with their cruise line before heading to the port.
Cruise Lines Who Have Canceled Sailings from Port
- Carnival Cruise Line
- Royal Caribbean
- Disney Cruise Line
Carnival Magic is currently on a seven-night cruise current cruise and will proceed directly to New Orleans where it will arrive on Saturday, Sept. 9. Guests will be given the opportunity to disembark and make independent arrangements to travel home.
Guests also have the option to remain on board and sail back to Port Canaveral, where they will disembark the ship as soon as the port reopens. It is currently unknown when the port will reopen to marine traffic through Carnival Magic is expecting to sail again on September 13.
Hurricane Irma has already spun through the Caribbean causing loss of life, making some Leeward islands uninhabitable, and causing millions of dollars in damage. The current projection of the storm is the make landfall in South Florida over the weekend.
Our prayers go out to the island and families who have and will be impacted by this storm.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of June 6, 2021
- Another First as Royal Caribbean Ship Sails From Nassau
- USVI Governor Asks Florida’s DeSantis To Allow Cruise Line Vaccination Checks
- Celebrity Millennium Trip Report, Day 4: Changes in the COVID Era
- UPDATE: Two Celebrity Millennium Cruisers Test Positive, Protocols Work As Planned
- Carnival Staffing Entire Fleet — ‘We Want to Bring Back More Ships’
- Holland America Changes Rotterdam’s Inaugural Date, More Cruise Cancellations
- Cruise News Today — June 11, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Carnival Announces More Cruise Ships, Ports, Mardi Gras First Sailings
- Odyssey of the Seas Arrives to New Florida Homeport
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
PHOTOS: Welcoming Carnival’s Mardi Gras to Port Canaveral
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Royal Caribbean Says Unvaccinated Guests Will Face Restrictions, Higher Costs
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Carnival Announces More Cruise Ships, Ports, Mardi Gras First Sailings
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Mardi Gras Behind The Scenes: How Carnival’s First LNG Ship Fuels Up