Princess Cruises debuted a new musical last fall, called Magic to Do in partnership with composer Stephen Schwartz. It premiered to rave reviews and the cruise line recently released a documentary on it, chronicling the journey of the production from the partnership announcement, to auditions, to raising the curtain.
The new 25-minute film, called Magic to Do: The Story Behind the Magic, gives viewers a behind the scenes look at how the show came together through the direction of Schwartz, Broadway and Hollywood talent, cast members, and the Princess Cruises entertainment department. It’s available on the cruise line’s YouTube channel, and will also regularly air on Movies Under the Stars aboard the line’s ships.
Magic to Do combines illusions with some of Schwartz’s most famous songs, such as Defying Gravity from Wicked, and Magic to Do from Pippin. It also includes a new song written just for Princess. The show debuted aboard Crown Princess in October, and is now also featured on Ruby and Emerald Princess.
The film features interviews with Stephen Schwartz, the creative team, and cast, including:
- Gabriel Barre – acclaimed director whose credits include the national tour of Pippin, and the current Broadway musical, Amazing Grace.
- Don Frantz – associate producer of The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast on Broadway, among many other accomplishments.
- Jennifer Paulson-Lee – choreographer with credits including Enter Laughing, the Musical, A Rockin’ Midsummer Night’s Dream, 101 Dalmatians, and Seussical.
- Dominique Lemieux – costume designer to Cirque du Soleil including Mystère, Alegría, and A New Day with Celine Dion. She also designed the Pippin costumes on Broadway.
- Jim Steinmeyer – the mastermind behind many of the great magic illusions in the past 25 years. He created the magic experience in Magic to Do.
Additionally, the film features other interviews, as well as showcases the show’s original cast.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of April 11, 2021
- New Series Focuses on Pain of Cruise Shutdown, Excitement of Planned Return
- NCL To CDC: ‘Respond To Our Restart Plan Please’
- Carnival Releases Another Cruise-Themed Board Game
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — April 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Read the Letter Some Hope Will Prevent Cruise Ships From Sailing
- The Tug of War Over The Cruise Industry’s Future
- Norwegian’s ‘Great Cruise Comeback’ Docuseries Episode Airing Tonight
- Viking Takes Delivery of Latest Ocean Cruise Ship
- Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
The CDC Still Doesn’t Want You To Cruise, But Has Advice If You Do
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Adjusts Refund, FCC Policies
EDITORIAL4 days ago
Why Drink Packages May Be the Biggest Challenge Facing Cruising’s Resumption