Princess Cruises debuted a new musical last fall, called Magic to Do in partnership with composer Stephen Schwartz. It premiered to rave reviews and the cruise line recently released a documentary on it, chronicling the journey of the production from the partnership announcement, to auditions, to raising the curtain.
The new 25-minute film, called Magic to Do: The Story Behind the Magic, gives viewers a behind the scenes look at how the show came together through the direction of Schwartz, Broadway and Hollywood talent, cast members, and the Princess Cruises entertainment department. It’s available on the cruise line’s YouTube channel, and will also regularly air on Movies Under the Stars aboard the line’s ships.
Magic to Do combines illusions with some of Schwartz’s most famous songs, such as Defying Gravity from Wicked, and Magic to Do from Pippin. It also includes a new song written just for Princess. The show debuted aboard Crown Princess in October, and is now also featured on Ruby and Emerald Princess.
The film features interviews with Stephen Schwartz, the creative team, and cast, including:
- Gabriel Barre – acclaimed director whose credits include the national tour of Pippin, and the current Broadway musical, Amazing Grace.
- Don Frantz – associate producer of The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast on Broadway, among many other accomplishments.
- Jennifer Paulson-Lee – choreographer with credits including Enter Laughing, the Musical, A Rockin’ Midsummer Night’s Dream, 101 Dalmatians, and Seussical.
- Dominique Lemieux – costume designer to Cirque du Soleil including Mystère, Alegría, and A New Day with Celine Dion. She also designed the Pippin costumes on Broadway.
- Jim Steinmeyer – the mastermind behind many of the great magic illusions in the past 25 years. He created the magic experience in Magic to Do.
Additionally, the film features other interviews, as well as showcases the show’s original cast.