9 December 2011 – Cunard Line’s flagship Queen Mary 2 has returned to her homeport of Southampton after a major refurbishment that will prepare her to welcome guests for a luxury cruise vacation on her upcoming Transatlantic Crossings, Europe and World Voyages.
The refurbishment took place at the Blohm & Voss Shipyard in Hamburg, from 24 November to 6 December, with work undertaken in all staterooms and suites, the Canyon Ranch SpaClub, the Queens Grill and Princess Grill Restaurants, the Commodore Club, the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar, Sir Samuel’s Bar and Lounge and the children’s Play Zone. The popular Golden Lion Pub also was completely redesigned. Tillberg Design Company who were involved in Queen Mary 2’s original concept, were engaged by Cunard to develop the new designs.
Queen Mary 2’s 14-day refit required a team of thousands of workers replacing the equivalent of almost ten football fields of carpet and manufacturing about 18 miles of fabric into over 6,000 individual items.
Specific details of her refurbishments include:
* Staterooms – All 1,310 staterooms and suites aboard Queen Mary 2 received a fresh look with new carpeting, curtains, bedspreads and some received new furniture. The revised design is in keeping with current concepts, but with an enhanced sense of comfort, as can be experienced in luxury hotels around the world.
* Golden Lion Pub – With its increasingly popular traditional British pub lunch menus, busy bar, exciting sports events and nightly music offerings, the Pub has benefitted from a complete refurbishment and redesign to enhance its endearing appeal. The new design retains the British pub atmosphere with warm colours and plush seating in keeping with the same venues aboard sister ships Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth. Upgraded plasma television screens also have been installed.
* Canyon Ranch SpaClub – An extensive refurbishment of the first Canyon Ranch SpaClub at sea included reconditioning the teak surrounds of the hydrotherapy pool and adjacent wet areas and a general upgrade of all the facilities. In addition, new exercise machines in the fitness centre and new and improved features in the Beauty Salon have been installed.
* Queens Grill and Princess Grill Restaurants – A new, lighter carpet design for both of Queen Mary 2’s exclusive Grill restaurants will enhance the existing ambience as guests get decked out to experience the finest dining at sea.
* Commodore Club – One of the most popular public rooms on board, this lounge overlooking the ship’s bow has been refreshed with a new carpet design and additions to the white leather furnishings of chairs, sofas and bar stools.
* Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar – This venue featuring the exquisite Veuve Clicquot brand of champagne has a new carpet and new soft furnishings.
* Sir Samuel’s – This busy venue, which features specialty coffees during the day and an impressive menu of wines at night, received new carpeting and furniture coverings.
* The Play Zone – These facilities for younger guests underwent a complete refurbishment, including new soft play areas, plus upgrades including the very latest in electronic gaming technology and entertainment.