Cunard’s flagship Queen Mary 2 has just emerged after an extensive refurbishment, and will sail today into Southampton Water flanked by Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. The enhancements cost a whopping $132 million, and is one of the biggest refurbishments the line has ever undertaken. The ship will then set sail for New York, continuing her schedule of regular transatlantic crossings.
The luxury liner has received contemporary new interior designs and guest experiences, some of which take inspiration from the original Queen Mary. Cunard’s investment has ensured every detail recalls the iconic vessel which became a symbol of British elegance.
The remastered features include:
- redesign of the Queens Grill and Princess Grill suites and restaurants, as well as Britannia staterooms which will be completed by the end of the year
- addition of 30 more Britannia Club staterooms, 15 Britannia single rooms, and 5 Britannia interior staterooms
- redesign of key public spaces and restaurants, including the transformation of the former Winter Garden into the Carinthia Lounge,
- the introduction of The Verandah as the ship’s new specialty restaurant,
- the complete refresh and redesigning of the Kings Court – the buffet area
- 10 additional kennels, complete with lampposts and a fire hydrant to make dogs feel at home
- a complete repaint of the ship’s exterior and significant technical enhancements and structural changes
Over one million man hours went into the refurbishment, over 25 days. 594,000 square feet of new carpet was laid, 4,000 new framed pictures were brought onboard, and over 3,900 gallons of paint were applied to the ship’s hull.
“The significant investment into our flagship, Queen Mary 2, is indicative of our commitment to our guests, and to the special place that the ship holds, not only for those who are passionate about our famed ship, but also for the unique position she holds in the cruise landscape,” said Richard Meadows, president of Cunard, North America. “From her spectacular debut in 2004, to her current remastering, Queen Mary 2 continues to capture the imagination of those who experience her classic ocean liner voyages.”
featured photo: Cunard