The Great American Steamboat Company recently christened the steamer American Queen, the largest steamboat ever built at the revitalized Beale Street Landing in its homeport of Memphis, Tennessee by Godmother Priscilla Presley.
Presley and the Great American Steamboat Company share a common passion towards the city of Memphis, a theme for the afternoon, which included speeches by company executives and government officials and performances by local musicians.
“Today is an unprecedented example of a company and community coming together in a short amount of time to achieve a truly American dream,” described Great American Steamboat Company CEO Jeffrey D. Krida during Friday’s festivities. “A global audience is watching Memphis today, and I look forward to the world discovering the heartland of the United States once again on our grand and gracious American Queen.”
After the christening, the American Queen departed for her inaugural voyage up the Mississippi River to the Ohio River with stops in Henderson, Kentucky; Louisville, Kentucky; and Madison, Indiana, before arriving in Cincinnati, Ohio, the long-time home of the Delta Queen Steamboat Company. On May 2 in Louisville, she will take part in the wonderful tradition of the Kentucky Derby Festival’s Great Steamboat Race with the Belle of Louisville and Belle of Cincinnati.
Steeped in history, nostalgia and tradition, the American Queen offers an unrivaled hospitality experience from its elegant staterooms to its palatial public spaces and celebrated Southern cuisine of famed Chef Regina Charboneau, the line’s Culinary Director.
A variety of voyage lengths, ranging from three nights to ten nights offer exceptional value and convenience, with little or no flying required. With departures from iconic cities like Memphis, New Orleans, St. Louis, St. Paul, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, this legendary mode of travel is easy to enjoy.
A pre-voyage hotel stay, complimentary espresso, cappuccino and specialty coffees along with all bottled water and soft drinks, wine and beer at dinner, and free shore adventures in each port of call are included on every voyage.
Flickr photo by .margotta.
Chris Owen is a travel writer from Orlando Florida charged with sharing frank, inside information on cruise vacations with travelers. Certified a Master Cruise Counselor by the Cruise Lines International Association, Chris can be found via the popular travel blog, ChrisCruises.net and on the long-running cruise information website, YourCruiseDream.com.
- Priscilla Presley Makes a Splash as American Queen Returns to Service(cruisecritic.com)
- Riverboat Resumes Nostalgic Cruises on Mississippi(abcnews.go.com)
- Steamboat company holding job fair in Memphis(seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Riverboat resumes nostalgic cruises on Mississippi(hosted.ap.org)
- Cruise News Today — January 22, 2022 [VIDEO]
- 7 Cruise Trends You’ll See in 2022
- Unpaid Bills Result In Cruise Ship Arrest Warrant
- Carnival Keeps Masks, Testing, & Vaccinated Cruises Until Further Notice
- Cruise News Today — January 21, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Celebrity Cruises Moving Two Ships to Asia For 2023-2024 Season
- Celebrity Cancels 2022 Europe Cruise Season for One Ship
- Carnival Horizon Returns to Miami Following Unexpected Dry Dock
- Cruise News Today — January 20, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Cruise Podcast: Carnival Magic Review