Late last month I headed over to Barcelona to board Carnival Sunshine for a 16-night transatlantic cruise. While everything was already paid for well in advance, I had the option to purchase travel insurance, which I did for $36 additional.
The coverage included:
- Non-emergency medical benefits
- Pre-existing condition waiver
- Trip cancellation or interruption
- Benefits for airline cancellation
While all that coverage was excellent, there was one priceless service that my trip insurance company offered, a warning of a public transportation strike in Barcelona. Luckily, the company who I booked my policy through, TripInsurance.com, has an e-travel alerts program that advises you when something goes awry in the country or destination you’re traveling to. I happened to get that email a couple days before I boarded my flight.
In my case it was the rail workers in Europe were staging a series of strikes effective October 31, the day I was scheduled to land. I wasn’t affected by the strike but some passengers aboard Carnival Sunshine were. I asked them if they had a travel insurance policy and then told them about mine and the alerts I received.
They told me that the strike affected one of every three trains in Barcelona and they had to wait an extra long time. I didn’t want to risk it so I canceled my day trip to the winery and hung around the hotel and did some work.
Moral of the story. Before you make an investment of $1,000s of dollars, make sure you have all your bases covered. Europe is known for their public transportation workers going on strike and if it wasn’t for my alert from TripInsurance.com, I’d have never known. So I tip my hat to TripInsurance.com, once again they saved my butt.
To find out more about TripInsurance.com, click here.
Subscribe to our Cruise Updates.
- Cruise News Recap | Week of January 16, 2022
- Cruise News Today — January 22, 2022 [VIDEO]
- 7 Cruise Trends You’ll See in 2022
- Unpaid Bills Result In Cruise Ship Arrest Warrant
- Carnival Keeps Masks, Testing, & Vaccinated Cruises Until Further Notice
- Cruise News Today — January 21, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Celebrity Cruises Moving Two Ships to Asia For 2023-2024 Season
- Celebrity Cancels 2022 Europe Cruise Season for One Ship
- Carnival Horizon Returns to Miami Following Unexpected Dry Dock
- Cruise News Today — January 20, 2022 [VIDEO]