Rio de Janeiro recently renovated their port, and it’s a really good thing. The Olympics are coming to town, and two cruise ships will play “home” to some officials and athletes during the games.
The United States men’s and women’s basketball teams will be staying on Silversea Cruises’ Silver Cloud, which is a luxury cruise ship. The ship is under 17,000 gross tons and only has six passenger decks – so it’s on the smaller side, but perfect for the basketball teams.
USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo recently told ESPN that they decided to house the teams on a cruise ship for maximum security. “We have sent our people [to Rio] on four or five occasions. We have researched everything we could on accommodations, and we made our decision as to what we’re going to do…We do our own things to make sure we’ve protected our people.”
Other members of the Olympics, including sports federations members and corporate sponsors, dubbed the “Olympic Family,” will be staying aboard Norwegian Getaway. 90 percent of the ship has been chartered by Landry and Kling for 40 days during the games. The ship can hold 4,000 guests and is over 145,000 gross tons.
Rio’s new port area is the most visible sign of change that Olympics organizers promised to bring to Rio. The centerpiece is the Museum of Tomorrow, a science museum designed by architect Santiago Calatrava. Travel from the port to the basketball venues could take more than an hour depending on traffic, but time should improve when the Olympic lanes – set aside for Olympic traffic only – start operating.
Information courtesy of The Associated Press and ESPN.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of April 11, 2021
- New Series Focuses on Pain of Cruise Shutdown, Excitement of Planned Return
- NCL To CDC: ‘Respond To Our Restart Plan Please’
- Carnival Releases Another Cruise-Themed Board Game
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — April 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Read the Letter Some Hope Will Prevent Cruise Ships From Sailing
- The Tug of War Over The Cruise Industry’s Future
- Norwegian’s ‘Great Cruise Comeback’ Docuseries Episode Airing Tonight
- Viking Takes Delivery of Latest Ocean Cruise Ship
- Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
The CDC Still Doesn’t Want You To Cruise, But Has Advice If You Do
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Adjusts Refund, FCC Policies
EDITORIAL3 days ago
Why Drink Packages May Be the Biggest Challenge Facing Cruising’s Resumption