A crewmember aboard the Norwegian Breakaway contacted Coast Guard 5th District watchstanders at approximately 5 p.m. Monday reporting a woman suffered a heart attack and was in need of assistance.
The watchstanders, after consulting with the district’s flight surgeon and ship’s doctor, requested the cruise ship to alter course toward Elizabeth City, N.C., in order to be in range of a Coast Guard helicopter crew.
At approximately 7:30 p.m., personnel from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City dispatched crews aboard an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter and an HC-130 Hercules aircraft to assist.
When the Jayhawk crew arrived on scene, they hoisted the woman and a ship’s nurse into the helicopter and took them to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital in Norfolk.
Subscribe to our Cruise Updates.
- Bookings Open on Miami’s Next MSC Cruise Ship
- Cruise News Today — January 18, 2022 [VIDEO]
- U.S. River Line Orders 12 Small Cruise Ships
- Carnival Cruise Director Accepts Promotion, is Leaving Mardi Gras
- Cruise News Today — January 17, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Celebrity Delays Return of West Coast Ship, Cancels Four Sailings
- Spain to Require Booster Shots For U.S. Visitors
- Cruise News Recap | Week of January 9, 2022
- Cruise News Today — January 15, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Opts Into CDC’s Voluntary COVID-19 Program