Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas visited St. Kitt’s for the first time yesterday. She brought over 6,000 passengers into port for a day of island adventure.
Weighing over 252,000 tons, the Oasis currently holds the world’s largest cruise ship record, and is home to an impressive amount of amenities. These include the FlowRider surf simulator, a zip line, a “Central Park” area with distinct neighborhoods, and DreamWorks themed movies and activities.
The Minister of Tourism, Lindsay F.P. Grant, led a plaque-exchanging ceremony to mark the special occasion. She said “It gives me great pleasure to welcome the inaugural call of the Oasis of the Seas. This is one of the greatest ships in the world, and so when in port, it is indeed a very special event for the destination.”
This inaugural call is the first of five visits scheduled this year; a year when St. Kitts will break the one million mark of cruise passengers visiting in a season. The captain of the ship, Per Kristoffersen, said that the ship arrived with 6,380 guests, and over 2,183 crew members from 77 countries.
Yesterday saw three ships arriving in the island nation, bringing around 14,000 visitors to the destination.
Information courtesy of St. Kitts Tourism Authority and SKNVibes. Visit them at sknvibes.com.
Featured photo courtesy of Carolyn Sugg on Flickr.
- Cruise News Recap | Week of January 16, 2022
- Cruise News Today — January 22, 2022 [VIDEO]
- 7 Cruise Trends You’ll See in 2022
- Unpaid Bills Result In Cruise Ship Arrest Warrant
- Carnival Keeps Masks, Testing, & Vaccinated Cruises Until Further Notice
- Cruise News Today — January 21, 2022 [VIDEO]
- Celebrity Cruises Moving Two Ships to Asia For 2023-2024 Season
- Celebrity Cancels 2022 Europe Cruise Season for One Ship
- Carnival Horizon Returns to Miami Following Unexpected Dry Dock
- Cruise News Today — January 20, 2022 [VIDEO]