Carnival Foundation, and five of its global cruise line brands together with the Micky and Madeleine Arison Family Foundation have collectively pledged over US$1.25 million to support disaster recovery efforts from raging bushfires causing widespread devastation throughout Australia.
The pledge includes US$1 million from the family foundation of Carnival Corporation’s Chairman Micky Arison and his wife Madeleine, in addition to US$250,000 from Carnival Foundation and five of the company’s brands – P&O Cruises (Australia), Carnival Cruise Line, Cunard, Holland America Line and Princess Cruises.
All five brands have ships based year-round in Australia or homeport seasonally in the country.
“Our cruise lines carried hundreds of thousands of Aussies and international guests on voyages this summer, and this gesture is a sign of our solidarity with the local community,” said Sture Myrmell, president of Carnival Australia, which comprises several of the corporation’s brands operating in the country.
“As a cruise shipping organization with close ties to Australian communities developed over many years, we have been shocked by the devastation from this ongoing disaster. Our cruise lines are contributing to the Australian Red Cross’ Disaster Relief and Recovery work because of the organization’s experience in dealing with the effects of natural disasters and its national reach.”
The company’s commitment follows the combined AU$50,000 donation from P&O Cruises (Australia) and its guests to the St Vincent de Paul Society in late 2019 to support residents of New South Wales and Queensland impacted by the local bushfires at that time.
Information on the Australian Red Cross, its recovery efforts and ways to provide support can be found at https://www.redcross.org.au.
Source: Carnival Corporation
- Cancellations, Compensation and Refund Policies by Cruise Line
- Viking Launches Mississippi River Cruises
- Carnival Sunrise Virtual Cruise To Nowhere, Day 1
- How to Use a Future Cruise Credit
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Brands Extend Cancellation Policy
- Disney Cruise Line Suspends Sailings Through April 28
- Norwegian Cancels Cruises, Pushes Return Date Back
- Carnival Extends Suspension; Cancels Cruises Through May 11
- MSC Cruises Extends Suspended Voyages Through May 29
- Cruise Ship Casinos: How to Get the Most Out of Your Experience