While heading to Port Lucaya near Freeport, Bahamas on Saturday, the 93,000-ton MSC Poesia ran aground on top of a reef. The cruise line hasn’t released a statement yet but the ship was later free during high-tide and was able to move to it’s next port of call.
The grounding didn’t stop the beach-goers as tender boats were able to ferry passengers from anchorage (or reefage) to the shores of Port Lucaya.
According to Captain Archer, a local captain in the port, “they waited for a tide to get high at 1800hrs she was pulled off with 4 tugs and a fifth standing by. At 2000hrs, she was free and continued on her journey at 19.5 knots to little Salvador. So I assume minimal damage, if any (with that speed)!”
MSC Poesia was on a special three-day music charter cruise to Grand Bahamas Island and Half-Moon Cay. Divers are expected to access reef damage today.
12:45 pm Update: A statement from MSC Cruises was released. “In navigating the harbor off Port Lucaya in the Grand Bahamas, MSC Poesia ran aground at 6:50 a.m. Saturday morning. The ship and its guests were always completely safe and all onboard equipment and services continued to operate normally including all previously scheduled tender service and shore excursions,” said a spokeswoman with the company.
Sign-up for our Daily Updates here.
Below shows some video and narration of the incident:
(Video from Fredgbscuba on YouTube)
- The Controversial Technology That Could Change Cruising Forever
- The Rule Change That Could Save Alaska’s 2021 Cruise Season
- Royal Caribbean Makes Changes to Winter 2021/2022 Cruise Schedule
- Impressive Timelapse of New Cruise Ship Being Built [VIDEO]
- Kicked Off Ship: Cruiser Who Ignored Excursion Rules Sent Packing
- Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing
- Travel During A Pandemic: Visiting Disney Springs
- Cruise Podcast: How To Buy A Room On A Cruise Ship + News
- 21 Haunting Images From a Cruise Ship Scrapyard [PHOTOS]
- New Cruise Ship Will Literally Change the Air You Breathe
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
First Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship to Sail Gives Glimpse of New Normal
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
21 Haunting Images From a Cruise Ship Scrapyard [PHOTOS]
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Kicked Off Ship: Cruiser Who Ignored Excursion Rules Sent Packing