Royal Caribbean recently signed an agreement with shipbuilding company Meyer Turku on the delivery of a third icon-class cruise ship, to be delivered from Turku in the spring of 2025. Other than that, little is known about the new class of vessel from the cruise line.
“At Royal Caribbean, we are constantly focused on enhancing the guest experience by building new cruise ships in five different countries. The icon ship design is developing well with Meyer Turku and will push the boundaries of what defines a modern cruise ship,” said Harri Kulovaara, Executive Vice President for Maritime & Newbuilding for Royal Caribbean Cruises.
READ MORE: New Build Could Be The Largest in the World
Icon-class ships weigh in at 200,000 gross tons and are designed to be more environmentally friendly to the outside oceans while being powered by LNG (liquid natural gas). Further details of the ships’ designs have yet to be released, but the companies are promising an innovative approach to environmental sustainability.
“Icon ships have been designed with the utmost attention to the environmental sustainability and reducing our emissions,” Kulovaara added.
The companies have a longstanding relationship with one another, and have worked together on ships dating back to 1999 with the construction of Royal Caribbean’s Voyager of the Seas.
Previous icon-class ships are to be delivered in 2022 and 2024. The construction of the first icon ship will begin at Meyer Turku shipyard in the spring of 2020.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of November 22, 2020
- Disney’s First Cruise Ship Returns to Port Canaveral
- Believe It or Not, Cruisers Have a Lot to Be Thankful For
- 2020 Christmas Tree Trail at Disney Springs [PHOTOS]
- Unsinkable: The Cruise Industry Is Coming Back To Life
- Viking Cruises Taps Retired Vice Admiral as Chief Health Officer
- Cruise Ship Beached At Turkish Scrapyard [VIDEO]
- Norwegian Cruise Line’s Plan to Get The World Sailing Again
- Carnival Captain Shares Journey Back To Cruise Ship [PHOTOS]
- MSC Receives Japan’s Approval to Cruise, Adjusts Ship Itinerary
BEFORE YOU CRUISE5 days ago
9 Cruise Line Ticket Contract Surprises
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Carnival Captain Shares Journey Back To Cruise Ship [PHOTOS]
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Unsinkable: The Cruise Industry Is Coming Back To Life
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line’s Plan to Get The World Sailing Again