In celebration of World Space Week, Carnival Cruise Line has announced a partnership with Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex to launch a space program for kids aboard Carnival Celebration.
As part of Camp Ocean’s science and discovery programming, the credible Space Cruisers curriculum supported by NASA is designed to be both educational and fun, and will enable kids of all ages to explore the universe and earth through a variety of hands-on and unique learning experiences. Kids will be able to complete “missions” to earn a special themed mission patch.
Highlights of the program include:
- Optimal Orbit (ages 2-8): Learn the pull of gravity and how planets, satellites, and other objects move through space in a hands-on experience with a giant trampoline.
- Design Your Own Mission Patch (ages 6-11): Join the longstanding tradition among astronauts and design your own take-home mission patch to tell your story.
- Space Cruisers Rocket Workshop (ages 6-11): Follow in the footsteps of NASA’s talented engineers and build your own paper rocket to fly high to the sky.
- Mars Base Connect (family-friendly): Explore the steps it takes to build a Mars base and come together with family to create your own.
- ASTRO! (family-friendly): Call out constellations as they’re displayed on a unique star projector in a space-themed BINGO game for the chance to win special giveaways.
MORE: Major Cruise Line Drops Testing Requirement For Unvaccinated Guests
“Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is where the epic story of the U.S. space program is brought to life through fun and inspirational activities, exhibits and educational activities,” said Therrin Protze, chief operating officer, Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. “We’re excited to bring a piece of that experience aboard Carnival Celebration for the Space Cruisers program.”
An area of Camp Ocean will feature an illuminated space wall that showcases the planets, and constellations (both real ones as well as Carnival-themed ones) will light up the ceiling.
The program will debut on Carnival Celebration when it sets sail from Miami this November, then will be rolled out aboard sister ship Mardi Gras in time for the holiday season. Various activities from the program will go fleetwide in time for spring break.
READ NEXT: MSC Cruises to Homeport Record Number of Ships in the U.S.