Guests sailing on Carnival Cruise Line’s ship Carnival Splendor just broke a record for donations to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
On a recent 14-night Carnival Journeys sailing that ended on Saturday, guests donated over $40,000 to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, an organization dedicated to the research and treatment of childhood cancer.
Raising Money For St. Jude
The Cruise Director, Lee Mason, made a promise when the voyage started in Hawaii that if they reached $30,000 in donations for St. Jude, he would shave his head.
The $30,000 goal was passed, and continued to grow until it hit $40,000.
He posted, “Thank you to our AMAZING guests on our current Journeys Cruise!! Your generosity is not only changing lives but saving them!!”
Raising $40,000 In Donations
Through onboard auctions, Carnival’s signature Groove for St. Jude dance party on the lido deck, donations from the crew, and a lot of kindness.
Norman Freedman, a guest on the sailing, told us, “In all my years of cruising I’ve never seen such selfless giving and generosity. Not only coming from the guests but also contributions from staff and crew members.” He posted a video of the event on his Cruise Duo Facebook Page.
Carnival’s Partnership with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Carnival Cruise Line started their partnership with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in 2010.
In 2011, Lindsey Wilkerson – whose inspirational story has taken her from a patient at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to an employee within the organization and ambassador helping share its message of hope and inspiration – was named godmother of the new Carnival Magic.
Carnival Splendor sails seven-night Mexican Rivera voyages from Long Beach, California.
On select sailings, the ship operates 14-night Hawaii sailings to Maui, Honolulu, Kona, Hilo, and Ensenada.
- First Hospital Ship En Route to New York City
- Cruise Line Rescue Could Come At A Price
- Seattle Puts 2020 Cruise Season On Pause
- Carnival Australia Extends Cruise Cancellations
- How to Change or Cancel a Carnival Cruise
- Royal Caribbean Suspends Cruises Until At Least May 12
- Closing Bell Update: Cruise Line Stocks Rebound
- Carnival Cruise Line Extends Pay For Displaced Crew Members
- Behind The Fight To Keep Cruise Lines Afloat
- Drone Captures Docked Cruise Ships [PHOTOS]