The Diamond Princess remains under quarantine, with 20 people on board having now tested positive for coronavirus. The infected guests come from several countries and include one American citizen.
With the death count in China now over 550 people, cruise lines are continuing to carefully monitor any would-be passengers who have had contact with anyone from the impacted area.
Princess Cruises said in a statement, “We can confirm that among the second set of samples that have completed testing, 10 additional people have tested positive for coronavirus. Local public health authorities will disembark those guests for transport to local hospitals immediately.”
Guests aboard Diamond Princess will be quarantined to their stateroom for 14 days on the ship, as required by local health authorities.
“The well-being of our guests and crew remains our top priority, and we are working diligently to improve their experience during this challenging time. Food and beverages are being brought to their rooms via a daily menu,” said Princess.
The cruise line said that guests who are booked in inside and non-balcony staterooms are permitted to get fresh air on a rotating basis, as directed by Public Health authorities.
Princess Cruises took to Twitter to say, “While we know this is a challenging time for our #DiamondPrincess guests and crew in Japan, and their loved ones, we want to acknowledge the support and commitment of all onboard. Thank you to our guests, who have dealt with a tough situation with grace and understanding. We are also providing many in-room activities and additional entertainment options. This includes new TV channels, movies, audiobooks, exercise videos, arts and crafts, board and card games delivered to each stateroom, and more.”
Diamond Princess arrived in Yokohama early from a 14-day round trip itinerary, which departed from Yokohama (Tokyo) on January 20. The ship has been quarantined in Yokahama since Monday.
There are 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew on board.
- Cruise Line Thanks Authorities Who Brought Home Stranded Guests
- Sick Cruise Ship Gets Approval to Dock in Florida
- Cruise Podcast: Royal Caribbean’s Explorer of the Seas 2020 + News
- How to Make Fruit Loop Crusted French Toast
- Carnival Sunrise Virtual Cruise Day 2, Fun Day At Sea
- Carnival Cancels Additional Sailings, Including Alaska and Europe
- Cancellations, Compensation and Refund Policies by Cruise Line
- Viking Launches Mississippi River Cruises
- Carnival Sunrise Virtual Cruise To Nowhere, Day 1
- How to Use a Future Cruise Credit