MSC Cruises has announced that there are over 1,390 shore excursions available for guests to book this coming summer — the most the cruise line has ever offered. The extensive program includes something for everyone, like options that involve extended stays ashore or shorter half-day highlights.
Those who book excursions ahead of the cruise will receive a discount of up to 20 percent.
The Explorer Package is available as well, offering a choice of three top excursions at a better price — available both before the cruise and once on board.
Included in the range of 2022 MSC shore excursions are Protectours — first introduced by the line in 2020. These tours have been designed to give guests insights into the local nature and wildlife, while preserving the surrounding environment.
Almost 70 percent of the Protectours include low-impact transportation — such as walking, cycling, or kayaking — and many make a direct contribution to the environment by supporting species or habitat protection.
In line with its commitment to help protect the environment, MSC will be introducing electric and hybrid transportation in over ten European cities this year.
On top of that, the range of MSC Bike Adventours bicycle tours has been extended, with 150 across 21 countries planned for this summer.
2022 Shore Excursion Highlights
In the Caribbean, MSC Cruises will offer over 200 excursions.
- Savor San Juan’s Culinary Delights (Puerto Rico): This tour through the flavors of Puerto Rico includes plenty of colorful surprise for all taste buds, including the Chocobar Cortés, a chocolatier created in 1929; artisanal gelato; refreshing cocktails; and a visit to La Casita de Rones, the official bar and distributor of Rums of Puerto Rico. Here, guests will experience a lesson on authentic Puerto Rican rum.
- Kohunlich Mayan Ruins (Costa Maya, Mexico): Situated on the Yucatán Peninsula and one of Mexico’s absolute must-sees is the archaeological site of Kohunlich, a terraced city built by the Mayans between A.D. 250 and A.D. 600. Traveling in time, guests will discover a sunken palace, acropolis and other incredible courtyards in this sacred site.
- Protectours – Nassau Eco-nature walking tour (The Bahamas): A foray into the luscious flora, fauna and marine life found on stunning Blue Lagoon Island. Guests can explore superb beaches and meet the diverse marine life, including stingrays, sharks, dolphins and sea lions.
Ocean Cay in the Bahamas
There will be over 20 excursions available on MSC Cruises’ private island, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve.
- Shipwreck snorkeling getaway: Guided by professional snorkel instructors, guests can experience colorful and exotic marine life in one of the best snorkel sites in the area.
- Ocean Cay Beach Cabana: for a maximum of 6 guests, this all-day rental is the ultimate relaxation with the comfort of guests’ very own cabana, perfect for enjoying sunbathing and sea.
- Ocean Cay lighthouse climb: Ascend the island’s iconic lighthouse and take in 360-degree views of the island, nearby cays, Lighthouse Bay and, of course, the cruise ship. Guests will journey up three levels and 165 steps to the top of the lighthouse, reaching the highest point on the cay. Along the way, the guide will share insightful facts and figures on the incredible transformation of Ocean Cay from an industrial site to Bahamian paradise.
The eastern and western Mediterranean will offer over 540 shore excursion experiences combined.
- Valletta (Malta) Gozo Island by boat and Jeep: Guests will head out on a breath-taking scenic tour of Sliema’s urbanised coastline, caves and breath-taking island views of the crystal-clear waters of the beautiful Blue Lagoon. Explore Gozo’s unspoiled scenery and key landmarks by jeep including the amazing cliffs at Sanap, the quaint Xlendi Bay, and the saltwater lagoon known as the Inland Sea.
- Messina (Italy) – Mount Etna and Taormina: Guests visit this natural phenomenon and the nearby town of Taormina. Exploring through the town of Zafferana Etnea, they will catch memorable views of the mountain and the sea.
- Monfalcone (Italy) St Mark’s Square, Rialto Bridge & Panoramic cruise: Start with a ride to Venice on a comfortable coach before being whisked into the historic center on a panoramic trip by private boat. This beautiful tour lets guests explore Venice, including world-famous St. Mark’s square, the bridge of Sighs, lovely views of the Grand Canal, and much more. Free time to explore is planned into the tour to make the most of the experience.
- Massada (Israel) and the Dead Sea: For guests looking for a completely relaxed experience, this tour offers a great day out exploring the historic city of Massada with the unique chance to bathe in the relaxing mineral-enriched waters of the Dead Sea.
- Protectours – Olympia’s (Greece) secrets of sustainable living: Learn about sustainable agriculture, natural olive oils and soaps on a charming organic farm near Olympia, ending with a typical family celebration meal.
Across northern Europe, MSC Cruises will offer over 630 shore excursions.
- Norwegian waterfalls and dramatic scenery by train (Norway): From the Nærøy valley, the tour will stop at the Tvindefossen waterfalls, a twin cascade of two fabulous falls, followed by a train ride through a range of stunning natural landscapes. After reaching Myrdal – nearly 3,000 feet above sea level – guests will continue down the breathtaking Flåm valley, traveling on the world-famous Flåm Line.
- Le Havre – PARIS SIGHTSEEING TOUR (France): Guests won’t want to miss the opportunity to see some of the major sights of France’s magnificent capital city and find out why Paris is known worldwide for its elegance and grandeur.
- Protectours – Helsinki (Finland) Centre design walk and upcycling workshop: Guests walk through Helsinki’s most beautiful sights on a visit to the Design District, where guests can make their own upcycling eco-creations while experiencing the EDEL City, a pioneer in ethical and ecological luxury goods.