Norwegian Cruise Line has successfully retrofitted a new Exhaust Gas Scrubber system aboard their ship Norwegian Jewel. The installation is in conjunction with their Eco-Smart Cruising program, and is aimed at reducing air emissions and the vessel’s environmental footprint.
The cruise line is the first to retrofit a ship while it’s in service with the system. The Jewel’s new lightweight in-line scrubbers are a hybrid technology that are able to operate in dry mode, open loop, and closed loop. Five scrubbers were installed – one per engine, and are able to reduce the emission of sulfur to air up to 99 percent, and reduce 85 percent particulate emission to the air.
The ship’s new technology will reduce the equivalent of about 1,500 tons of Sulfur Oxide gas in the years to come. The project didn’t happen overnight, either. The installment process began in spring 2014, and took over 100,000 man hours to be completed.
Norwegian now has three ships outfitted with the Gas Scrubbers technology – Jewel, Escape, and Pride of America. The cruise line is on track to meet its MARPOL Annex VI compliance goal of reducing its global sulfur cap from 3.5 percent to .5 percent by 2020. Norwegian Jewel‘s sister ships, Pearl and Gem, will finish their scrubber retrofits in the coming weeks, and Norwegian Jade and Sun are scheduled for the same installations in the first and second quarter of 2017.
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of April 11, 2021
- New Series Focuses on Pain of Cruise Shutdown, Excitement of Planned Return
- NCL To CDC: ‘Respond To Our Restart Plan Please’
- Carnival Releases Another Cruise-Themed Board Game
- Cruise Radio News Briefs — April 16, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Read the Letter Some Hope Will Prevent Cruise Ships From Sailing
- The Tug of War Over The Cruise Industry’s Future
- Norwegian’s ‘Great Cruise Comeback’ Docuseries Episode Airing Tonight
- Viking Takes Delivery of Latest Ocean Cruise Ship
- Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Another Cruise Line Moves Closer to All-Inclusive Pricing
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
The CDC Still Doesn’t Want You To Cruise, But Has Advice If You Do
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Adjusts Refund, FCC Policies
EDITORIAL4 days ago
Why Drink Packages May Be the Biggest Challenge Facing Cruising’s Resumption