Everything is bigger in Texas, so it was inevitable that one of the world’s largest cruise ships would eventually make its’ way to Galveston. Royal Caribbean has agreed to build a new state-of-the-art, 170,000 square-foot, two-story cruise terminal at the Port of Galveston, with construction starting in April 2020 with completion in Fall, 2021.
To be built on 10 acres on the eastern side of the port in an area known as Pier 10, the terminal will offer state of the art features like mobile check-in and facial recognition and will meet LEED standards for energy use and environmental impact.
Royal Caribbean will build the terminal and lease it back from the port authority for 20 years, with 4 10-year extensions available. The port authority will be responsible for maintenance, parking and dock improvements.
“This is historic moment, not only for the port but for Galveston. This partnership will bring economic growth to the region and the state by generating new jobs, spending and tax revenues. It also will bring more visitors to the island, a popular tourist destination,” said Port Director and CEO Rodger Rees. “Galveston is on course to become a global destination for cruising, and we are thankful for partners like Royal Caribbean.”
In November 2021, Allure of the Seas, fresh from her $165 million amplification, will begin sailing 7 night Caribbean itineraries from the new terminal.
- Adventures By Disney To Launch Expedition Cruising In Antarctica, Galapagos
- Oceania Announces Epic 180-Night World Cruise
- 2021 Cruising: Halifax Cruise Port Hopes For Best, Plans For Worst
- Carnival Corp. Celebrates Float-Out of New Ship
- Plugged-In: Electricity To Play Bigger Role In Powering Cruise Ships
- Cruise News Briefs — January 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
- Celebrity Returns to Mexican Riviera Cruising After 8 Year Hiatus
- Bookings Open For Holland America’s 2022 Alaska Cruises
- Royal Caribbean Will Cruise From New Homeport Next Winter
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Why Carnival Cruise Line Wants You Excited About Half Moon Cay
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Holland America Releases 2021-2022 Caribbean Cruise Schedule
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Grand Cayman Says Cruise Ships Unlikely To Return in 2021
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Ax Cruises Through April 2021