Everything is bigger in Texas, so it was inevitable that one of the world’s largest cruise ships would eventually make its’ way to Galveston. Royal Caribbean has agreed to build a new state-of-the-art, 170,000 square-foot, two-story cruise terminal at the Port of Galveston, with construction starting in April 2020 with completion in Fall, 2021.
To be built on 10 acres on the eastern side of the port in an area known as Pier 10, the terminal will offer state of the art features like mobile check-in and facial recognition and will meet LEED standards for energy use and environmental impact.
Royal Caribbean will build the terminal and lease it back from the port authority for 20 years, with 4 10-year extensions available. The port authority will be responsible for maintenance, parking and dock improvements.
“This is historic moment, not only for the port but for Galveston. This partnership will bring economic growth to the region and the state by generating new jobs, spending and tax revenues. It also will bring more visitors to the island, a popular tourist destination,” said Port Director and CEO Rodger Rees. “Galveston is on course to become a global destination for cruising, and we are thankful for partners like Royal Caribbean.”
In November 2021, Allure of the Seas, fresh from her $165 million amplification, will begin sailing 7 night Caribbean itineraries from the new terminal.
- Virgin Voyages Cancels November 2020 Cruises
- Skagway, Alaska Cruise Port Guide
- Cruise Industry Voices Beg CDC Not To Extend No Sail Order
- Carnival’s New Mega Cruise Ship Begins Sea Trials [PHOTOS]
- 5 Most European Cities In North America To Visit on a Cruise
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of September 20, 2020
- Final Countdown: Will The CDC Lift The Ban On Cruise Ships?
- Alaska Inside Passage Cruises: What You Need to Know
- The Path To Reopening, Will Americans Cruise Next?
- Norwegian Cruise Line Releases 2023 Itineraries, Latitudes Offer
EDITORIAL5 days ago
The Path To Reopening, Will Americans Cruise Next?
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Final Countdown: Will The CDC Lift The Ban On Cruise Ships?
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Norwegian Cruise Line Releases 2023 Itineraries, Latitudes Offer
BEFORE YOU CRUISE4 days ago
Alaska Inside Passage Cruises: What You Need to Know