Tomorrow, May 1, 2021, Costa Cruises will resume sailings from Savona, Italy with its flagship Costa Smeralda.
To celebrate the restart of Costa Smeralda, local and port authorities will be at the port of Savona along with Costa Cruises President Mario Zanetti.
The resumption of operations for the Italian-flagged cruise company marks an important economic recovery for the entire region. Before the global health crisis, Costa Cruises generated an economic impact of 3.5 billion euro per year in Italy, and over 17,000 direct and indirect jobs.
Costa Smeralda’s Restart Itinerary
Costa Smeralda‘s weeklong itinerary includes Savona, Civitavecchia (the port for Rome), Naples, Messina, Cagliari, and La Spezia. The voyages can also be divided into two mini-cruises of three or four nights for those who want a shorter getaway.
Costa Safety Protocol
Cruises will follow the procedures set out in the Costa Safety Protocol, guidelines developed by the cruise line together with scientific experts and Italian authorities.
The protocols include:
- Swab tests before the cruise and then again halfway through
- Wearing a mask onboard where necessary
- Reduced occupancy
- Remodeled public spaces
- Numerous hand sanitizer stations throughout the ship
- Extended mealtimes
- Touchless restaurant menus via QR codes that can be scanned by a smartphone
- New ventilation system filters
- A fully-equipped medical center
- Increased sanitation in both public areas and staterooms
- Protected excursions through Costa Cruises only
Costa Smeralda will be the first of four Costa ships to operate during summer 2021, offering voyages throughout the Mediterranean.
On the days when Costa ships are not operating at the port, the Palacrociere terminal in Savona, managed by Costa Cruises, will continue to be used by ASL 2 Savona (a local Public Health Unit) for its vaccination campaign.
READ NEXT: Cruise Lines That Are Sailing in Summer 2021
- Carnival President Tells NBC Nightly News They Still Plan on July Restart
- Another Carnival Corp. Ship Resumes Cruises From Italy
- CDC Eases Testing Requirements For Fully-Vaccinated Cruise Passengers
- New Norwegian Cruise Ship Boasts Record-Breaking Sales
- Royal Caribbean Pulls Odyssey Out Of Israel As Violence Increases
- Carnival Cruise Line Names Upcoming Mardi Gras’ Godmother
- Cruise Radio News Briefs | Week of May 9, 2021
- 11 Popular Things To Do in Key West, Florida
- Disney Wish Tour: The Images That Will Leave You Breathless
- Azamara Announces New Onboard ‘Destination Celebration’ Events
DESTINATIONS5 days ago
5 Free Public Beaches in Nassau, Bahamas
EDITORIAL4 days ago
Why Florida’s Governor Just Insulted a Major Cruise Line
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Federal Court Judge To Decide On Florida’s Call For Injunction Over CDC Rules
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Carnival Sensation Arrives at US Port to Begin Crew Vaccinations [PHOTOS]