Norwegian Cruise Line is celebrating 2020 by completely eliminating 100% of single-use plastic beverage bottles across the fleet, reflecting a reduction of over 6 million plastic bottles a year.
The cruise line partnered with JUST Goods, founded by Jayden Smith, to provide “bottled” water in a plant-based carton, made of 82% renewable materials – the paper carton is made from trees grown in responsibly-managed forests and the cap and shoulder are made from sugarcane-based plastic.
JUST Goods sources 100% spring water from Glenn Falls, New York; Ballymena, Northern Ireland; and Ballarat, Australia to meet demand around the world while reducing the environmental footprint from shipping.
The elimination of single-use plastic beverage bottles by Norwegian follows the 2018 elimination of plastic straws on ships and destinations, and comes ahead of the phasing out of single-use plastic shampoo and conditioner bottles later this year.
“This is a very special and very proud moment for us,” said Harry Sommer, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line.
“As a leading cruise line, we are thrilled to make such an impact by eliminating single-use beverage bottles across our fleet. While this is just the beginning of what we and others can do, we are incredibly committed to our Sail & Sustain program and believe wholeheartedly in the importance of preserving our natural resources. We will continue to strive towards making environmentally conscious decisions to benefit our earth.”
- Cruise Podcast: Sit Down With Carnival Corporation CEO Arnold Donald
- Final Look: Royal Caribbean’s Monarch of the Seas
- Carnival Cruise Line Cancels Sailings Through November 1
- Norwegian Cruise Exec on Return To Sailing, New Ship & More
- Cruise Lines Cancel All Sailings Until November 1
- Cruise Podcast: Ship Scrapping Process with Peter Knego
- Carnival Inspiration Completes Final Cruise, Awaits Scrapping
- Cruise Line Relaunching With Masks, Rapid Testing and More
- Cruise Line Kicks Off Modest 2020 Alaska Season
- Stricken Norwegian Cruise Liner Cancels Next Sailing
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Norwegian Reclaiming Loyalty Points On Cancelled Cruises
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Carnival Inspiration Completes Final Cruise, Awaits Scrapping
CRUISE NEWS22 hours ago
Cruise Lines Cancel All Sailings Until November 1
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Cruise Line Relaunching With Masks, Rapid Testing and More