Norwegian Cruise Line is celebrating 2020 by completely eliminating 100% of single-use plastic beverage bottles across the fleet, reflecting a reduction of over 6 million plastic bottles a year.
The cruise line partnered with JUST Goods, founded by Jayden Smith, to provide “bottled” water in a plant-based carton, made of 82% renewable materials – the paper carton is made from trees grown in responsibly-managed forests and the cap and shoulder are made from sugarcane-based plastic.
JUST Goods sources 100% spring water from Glenn Falls, New York; Ballymena, Northern Ireland; and Ballarat, Australia to meet demand around the world while reducing the environmental footprint from shipping.
The elimination of single-use plastic beverage bottles by Norwegian follows the 2018 elimination of plastic straws on ships and destinations, and comes ahead of the phasing out of single-use plastic shampoo and conditioner bottles later this year.
“This is a very special and very proud moment for us,” said Harry Sommer, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line.
“As a leading cruise line, we are thrilled to make such an impact by eliminating single-use beverage bottles across our fleet. While this is just the beginning of what we and others can do, we are incredibly committed to our Sail & Sustain program and believe wholeheartedly in the importance of preserving our natural resources. We will continue to strive towards making environmentally conscious decisions to benefit our earth.”
- Adventures By Disney To Launch Expedition Cruising In Antarctica, Galapagos
- Oceania Announces Epic 180-Night World Cruise
- 2021 Cruising: Halifax Cruise Port Hopes For Best, Plans For Worst
- Carnival Corp. Celebrates Float-Out of New Ship
- Plugged-In: Electricity To Play Bigger Role In Powering Cruise Ships
- Cruise News Briefs — January 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
- Celebrity Returns to Mexican Riviera Cruising After 8 Year Hiatus
- Bookings Open For Holland America’s 2022 Alaska Cruises
- Royal Caribbean Will Cruise From New Homeport Next Winter
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Why Carnival Cruise Line Wants You Excited About Half Moon Cay
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Holland America Releases 2021-2022 Caribbean Cruise Schedule
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Ax Cruises Through April 2021
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Grand Cayman Says Cruise Ships Unlikely To Return in 2021