Governor DeSantis Speaks Out About Lawsuit Victory
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is speaking out over the state’s victory in the lawsuit against the CDC.
During a press conference, DeSantis said “the only reason you even started seeing any of these discussions is because we brought the lawsuit.” Since the lawsuit was brought on, the CDC has expedited its guidance to cruise lines.
Unless the CDC appeals the judge’s rulings, the guidelines in the Conditional Sailing Order will become mere recommendations by mid-July.
Freedom of the Seas Returns From Test Cruise
Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas returned from its first simulated voyage on Tuesday morning and initial reports have been good.
Next up we’ll see Disney Dream depart from Port Canaveral on June 29, followed by MSC Meraviglia on July 17, and then Allure of the Seas on July 27.
This weekend, Celebrity Edge will be the first cruise to sail from the United States since the start of the shutdown 15 months ago.
A New Bill Would Allow U.S. Ships to Bypass Canada Permanently
Canada’s cautious approach to cruising during the pandemic could have a lasting negative impact on its cruise ports.
U.S. Senator Mike Lee from Utah has introduced a bill that would permanently repeal the Passenger Vessel Services Act and end the mandatory Canadian stopover requirement. That would mean ships could sail round trip from Seattle without having to satisfy a foreign port requirement in Victoria or Vancouver.
This summer ships don’t have to stop in Canada because of a waiver in the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act.
The cruise industry is worth an estimated $4.2 billion per year for Canada.
Watch Cruise News Briefs [VIDEO]
- Tampa Welcomes First Cruise Ship in 19 Months
- 9 Freebies on Cruise Ships
- Third U.S. Based Princess Cruise Ship Resumes Service
- Carnival Raises Nearly $300,000 in 3 Months For St. Jude
- Holland America Names Godmother of New Cruise Ship
- Cruise News Today — October 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Windstar Cruises Adds Second Yacht in French Polynesia
- MSC Partners With Two Universities to Support Ocean Cay Coral Program
- Princess Reveals More Cruise Ship Restarts For Early 2022
- Captain Kate Appointed Head of New Celebrity Cruise Ship