Ships Arrive to Rescue St. Vincent Residents
Multiple cruise ships arrived at St. Vincent on Friday and Saturday in an effort to rescue residents as the island’s volcano erupted for the first time in decades.
Several ships from Carnival and Royal Caribbean were able to pick up vaccinated residents and bring them to neighboring islands for temporary refuge.
On Thursday afternoon, the island’s emergency management office switched the island’s alert level to red due to an uptick in seismic and volcanic activity.
UK Could Resume International Travel By Mid-May
The UK government has released a new report that shows international travel for its residents could resume by May 17.
A traffic light system will be put into place, categorizing different countries based on their COVID-19 risk. Key factors for the system will include what percentage of a country has been vaccinated, the rate of infection, and the prevalence of COVID-19 variants there.
Restrictions for inbound passengers will remain in place, but will vary depending on where the passenger is coming from.
State Reps, Miami-Dade County Mayor Meet at PortMiami
With Carnival Horizon behind them, several bipartisan state representatives, along with Miami-Dade County’s mayor, met at PortMiami on Friday afternoon to call for the resumption of cruising.
Late last week, the state of Florida announced a lawsuit against the federal government, health and human services, and the CDC for the delay in restart guidance.
One focus of the press event was the American workers who have been affected by the extended shutdown of the cruise industry — particularly those in Miami-Dade County and Florida as a whole.
Watch Cruise News Briefs [VIDEO]
- Tampa Welcomes First Cruise Ship in 19 Months
- 9 Freebies on Cruise Ships
- Third U.S. Based Princess Cruise Ship Resumes Service
- Carnival Raises Nearly $300,000 in 3 Months For St. Jude
- Holland America Names Godmother of New Cruise Ship
- Cruise News Today — October 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Windstar Cruises Adds Second Yacht in French Polynesia
- MSC Partners With Two Universities to Support Ocean Cay Coral Program
- Princess Reveals More Cruise Ship Restarts For Early 2022
- Captain Kate Appointed Head of New Celebrity Cruise Ship