On Saturday, the USNS Comfort will be en route from Norfolk, Virginia to New York City to help with the influx of sick residents.
President Donald Trump said on Thursday night that when the ship arrives in Manhattan on Monday, it will dock at Pier 90.
If Pier 90 sounds familiar, it’s where Norwegian Cruise Line occasionally docks its vessels during the cruise season.
Launched as an oil tanker in 1975, the ship was handed over to the US Navy in 1987 to be converted to a mobile hospital. Even though the ship belongs to the US Navy, it does not carry any weapons. The vessel has a quick response time and can be activated in only five days.
Comfort has a patient capacity of 1,000 beds and is equipped with 12 operating rooms to provide some of the most advanced surgeries. Like a land-based hospital, the vessel also has a burn and triage center, a radiology unit, and a fully stocked pharmacy.
The 894-foot long ship is crewed with 956 naval hospital staff, 258 support staff, and 63 civilians.
A self-sufficient vessel, Comfort is capable of creating its own oxygen as it’s equipped with two oxygen-producing plants onboard. With four distilling plants on board, she is also capable of making 300,000 gallons of freshwater per day.
Previous deployments have been the Persian Gulf War, Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, and one of the more recent missions was being deployed to San Juan, Puerto Rico to assist with Hurricane Maria victims in 2017.
There is no timeline for how long the vessel will be in New York City.
- Adventures By Disney To Launch Expedition Cruising In Antarctica, Galapagos
- Oceania Announces Epic 180-Night World Cruise
- 2021 Cruising: Halifax Cruise Port Hopes For Best, Plans For Worst
- Carnival Corp. Celebrates Float-Out of New Ship
- Plugged-In: Electricity To Play Bigger Role In Powering Cruise Ships
- Cruise News Briefs — January 15, 2021 [VIDEO]
- All Air Travelers Coming Into U.S. Will Require Negative Test
- Celebrity Returns to Mexican Riviera Cruising After 8 Year Hiatus
- Bookings Open For Holland America’s 2022 Alaska Cruises
- Royal Caribbean Will Cruise From New Homeport Next Winter
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Why Carnival Cruise Line Wants You Excited About Half Moon Cay
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Holland America Releases 2021-2022 Caribbean Cruise Schedule
CRUISE NEWS3 days ago
Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Ax Cruises Through April 2021
CRUISE NEWS2 days ago
Grand Cayman Says Cruise Ships Unlikely To Return in 2021