Holland America Line has announced that its Grand Africa Voyage is returning — a 73-day journey roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, which allows Americans to avoid taking any international flights to get there.
On October 10, 2023, guests will embark Zuiderdam for the adventure, which will call on 26 ports in 22 countries — four of which will be overnights, including two nights in Cape Town, South Africa.
Here are some highlights of the 2023 Grand Africa Voyage:
- Four overnight calls: Aqaba, Jordan; Cape Town, South Africa; Zanzibar, Tanzania; and Victoria, Seychelles
- Six evening departures: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Souda, Crete; Safaga, Egypt; Richards Bay, South Africa; Walvis Bay, Namibia; and Cape Town
- Ports in: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Tunisia, Greece, Egypt, Jordan, Seychelles, Tanzania, Mayotte, Madagascar, Mozambique, South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Ghana, Ivory Coast, The Gambia, Senegal, Cape Verde, and Puerto Rico
- A daylight transit of the Suez Canal en route to Aqaba for the opportunity to visit the Lost City of Petra
- Safari and wildlife opportunities including Victoria Falls National Park, Namib Rand Nature Reserve, Etosha Game Reserve, Abuko Nature Reserve, Jozani Forest Reserve, Bandia Wildlife Reserve, Lokobe National Park, the Black Lemur Sanctuary, Kruger National Park, and Zulu Nyala Private Game Reserve
- Two full days in Cape Town, where passengers can explore Table Mountain, Nelson Mandela’s prison cell, Chapman’s Peak Drive, Cape Winelands, and more
Two shorter segments of the voyage are also available, for those who may not want or be able to take the full cruise. They are 46 days from Fort Lauderdale to Cape Town, and 27 days from Cape Town to Fort Lauderdale.
MORE: Azamara Details 2024 Europe Itineraries & Golf-Focused Voyages
On a Grand Voyage, evening activities on board focus on local cultural entertainment and special guest headliners. Gala evenings and balls will be held, along with an exclusive Captain’s Grand Voyage Dinner for guests who are sailing the entire cruise. On each Holland America Grand Voyage, menus in the dining room change daily and are rarely repeated, featuring local ingredients and regional cuisine.
Those who book the full 73-day Grand Africa Voyage by February 24, 2023 will receive three percent savings off the cruise-only fare, along with amenities valued at up to $4,110 per person.
Perks for balcony cabins and select oceanview cabins include onboard spending money of up to $400 per person, prepaid gratuities, luggage delivery service to and from Fort Lauderdale for two pieces, initial in-cabin liquor setup, a complimentary shore excursion, and a welcome bottle of sparkling wine.
Suites also receive onboard spending money of up to $1,000 per person, unlimited luggage delivery service to and from Fort Lauderdale, and a Signature Internet Package.
Fare for the full sailing start at $12,599 per person.
Additional upcoming Grand Voyages include the 2022 Grand Africa Voyage, 2023 and 2024 Grand World Voyages, 2023 Grand South American and Antarctica Voyage, and 2023 Grand Australia and New Zealand Voyage.
READ NEXT: 8 Popular Cruise Ship Seafood Restaurants