After 17 years, Holland America Line said goodbye to one of their own as Prinsendam sailed away to another cruise line. Holland America is not the first to bid the Prinsendam farewell however, she has seen a handful of owners in the past.
She was built in 1988 as the Royal Viking Sun for Royal Viking Line, then briefly owned by both Cunard and Seabourn before joining the Holland America fleet in 2002.
“Prinsendam has proudly served our guests since 2002, and we share in the fondness that many of our loyal cruisers have for this special ship,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line.
“As we look to the future and focus on delivering the programming and innovations that our guests are asking for, we remain focused on exceeding guest expectations on every cruise and will continue to offer the unique itineraries that Prinsendam sailed on our other, smaller ships.”
READ MORE: Holland America Sells Off Iconic Ship
The Prinsendam was actually sold last July to German cruise company Phoenix Reisen but was then chartered back to Holland America Line to fulfill itineraries that were already booked through July 1, 2019. Prinsendam‘s itineraries will now be covered by Rotterdam, Volendam, and Veendam.
After the month-long dry dock, the 835-guest ship will be renamed the Amera and will sail from Northern Europe and the Mediterranean beginning August 21, 2019, under Phoenix Reisen.
- USVI Governor Asks Florida’s DeSantis To Allow Cruise Line Vaccination Checks
- Celebrity Millennium Trip Report, Day 4: Changes in the COVID Era
- UPDATE: Two Celebrity Millennium Cruisers Test Positive, Protocols Work As Planned
- Carnival Staffing Entire Fleet — ‘We Want to Bring Back More Ships’
- Holland America Changes Rotterdam’s Inaugural Date, More Cruise Cancellations
- Cruise News Today — June 11, 2021 [VIDEO]
- Carnival Announces More Cruise Ships, Ports, Mardi Gras First Sailings
- Odyssey of the Seas Arrives to New Florida Homeport
- Royal Caribbean President Defends ‘Complicated’ Vaccination Policies
- Florida Lawsuit To Lift Cruising Restrictions Back In Court
CRUISE NEWS5 days ago
Despite Texas Vaccine Law, Carnival Cruise Line Set to Sail Out of Galveston
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
PHOTOS: Welcoming Carnival’s Mardi Gras to Port Canaveral
REVIEWS4 days ago
Celebrity Millennium Trip Report, Part 1: Getting There is Half the Battle
CRUISE NEWS4 days ago
Royal Caribbean Says Unvaccinated Guests Will Face Restrictions, Higher Costs